General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

help! need this before monday

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 11:12 PM
95viperred
1st Gear Member

Default help! need this before monday

how do i remove these parts? i'm trying to paint my interior
i borrowed this picture from another post

[IMG]local://upfiles/60064/C7E29C715FE543ADAAEFFF1793D19C47.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-03-2007, 11:59 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: help! need this before monday

Some parts you can't remove b/c they are a physical part of the dash assembly. You would have to actually remove the entire dash. As for the horn pad, unless you are familiar w/ disconnecting the air bag, I would leave it alone.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:11 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: 95viperred

how do i remove these parts? i'm trying to paint my interior
i borrowed this picture from another post

[IMG]local://upfiles/60064/C7E29C715FE543ADAAEFFF1793D19C47.jpg[/IMG]
oh dear lord [:'(]
Old 03-04-2007, 11:01 AM
95viperred
1st Gear Member

i have tan and i want it grey. so far it is looking really good. i hope i dont get stuck on this one
Old 03-04-2007, 11:37 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Yuck who threw up in that car?

Old 03-04-2007, 02:52 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

DISCONNECT
BATTERY
FIRST.

For the airbag there are two cap on the backside of the wheel that you can pop off, two 10mm (I think) bolts hold it on. Remove the bolts and slide the airbag forward. DO NOT REMOVE IT COMPLETELY!!!

Next mask off behind the airbag and just leave it connected and then do all the painting you want. Reinstall the same way. Because of the nature of the SRS beast you shouldn't just disconnect things randomly because it could send a fault and blow.

For the housing around the steering column, there are plastic clips on the sides that break easy and unhook when pushed in a little, also I think there might be a bolt in there, I haven't done that one for a while, just take your time.

For the pass air bag I think that is just a cover and I know part of it is held on by velcro though I am not sure if it is attached to the airbag itself. I don't think it is.

The shifter bezel just pops out, be gentle and the console has several bolts that attach it to the floor pan and two bolts that attach it to the dash (Visible once the shift bezel is removed) these typically break but cause little overall vibration.

The lower part of the dash can not be removed by itself, it is one solid component and must be masked and painted which in the car or removed from the car. That is a big job...

The panel under the dash and behind the wheel is just a plastic panel that is removable, you can paint that as well.

All of the vents are held in with plastic clips that love to break, be very gentle when removing these, the plastic is brittle and easy to break. I would use a small craftsman hook pick to gently pull the tab back and then pop out, the defrost vent is extremely hard to get to.

To remove the door panels just simply use your palm or a rubber dead blow and gently yet firmly hit the bottom of the door panel upwards until it pops up, your switches will still be connected but can be disconnected from the back. At this time mask off the door handles or just replace them.

On the backside of the door panel you can access the clips that hold the smooth front fascia on and press those back to remove it for easy painting.

This is not a 1 day job or even a weekend job, its going to take some time. In fact I would just replace the interior with black on grey or black on black parts.

In fact if you are interested I have a complete Black on grey interior out of a 95 that I am willing to sell. If you are interested give me an offer.

It will included everything but seats (Unless you really want them for more money.)

-Eric-
Old 03-04-2007, 11:29 PM
95viperred
1st Gear Member

ok i finally finished... man that took forever.. it was non stop for two days... and four cans of vinal/plastic paint... thank you for the help.. all i need now is some racing seats and some new carpet