General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

97 covertible top question

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 10:34 AM
GaryS

Default 97 covertible top question

My 97 convertible has a musty smell in it and I am trying to locate it. When I am in the back seat and look into the convertible top stowage area, I can't get behind the vinyl piece that hides that area. Is there any way to remove that piece of loosely hanging vinyl to see if there is water or moisture in that well area? Is there a special bit for a screwdriver that will allow me to partially disassembly that piece?

Any help is appreciated. This is a car that spent the last two years in Phoenix, got a new top from an independent shop and now resides in Pittsburgh, PA. With the cold weather approaching I want to store this car. First, the moisture must be found.
Gary
Old 11-09-2004, 10:38 AM
WorldMustang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 97 covertible top question

I do not know about the 97 I have a older model and I have two ways in. the truck panals can be removed to give access to the tops hydrolics the other way is to remove screws that attach the top to the side back seat panels but can only be done with the top up.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:50 PM
GaryS

I was afraid I might have to remove the screws and go into the back area behind the seat.
thanks,
Gary
Old 11-11-2004, 10:01 PM
ryan1994mustang
4th Gear Member

go into your trunk, and take out the three little christmas tree plug things that are holding the top trunk panel in, and that will let you right into the undersde of that vinyl and to the motors and stuff for the top
Old 11-12-2004, 10:22 AM
GaryS

Did you used to be the technical writer for FMC? Seriously, "the three little christmas tree plug"? OK, when I get home, I will look in the trunk for these dohickeys. I shudder at the idea of having to go through the conv. top well and remove all of the screws to get past the vinyl cover.

Thanks,

Gary
Old 11-13-2004, 12:01 PM
GaryS

Well, I checked out the trunk and looked for Christmas tree things. Not seeing any, I tried to figure what the three things could be. I finally found the black plastic retainers that hold the sound deadner in. Once I got those out and removed the rear seat, I found my musty smell. Somehow, the convertible top leaked and water accumulated under the rear seat in the insulation. I have it all out and drying. Hopefully it will clear up my musty smell.

Thanks for the help.
Gary
Old 11-14-2004, 10:17 PM
ryan1994mustang
4th Gear Member

i think that the black plastic retainers were the christmas tree plugs that i was talking about. when they are new, they kinda look like a little christmas tree, but they get kinda deformed when you pull them back out. we are in the process of replacing my top right now, so we have had all that crap out.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:40 AM
DUB 6
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: GaryS

My 97 convertible has a musty smell in it and I am trying to locate it. When I am in the back seat and look into the convertible top stowage area, I can't get behind the vinyl piece that hides that area. Is there any way to remove that piece of loosely hanging vinyl to see if there is water or moisture in that well area? Is there a special bit for a screwdriver that will allow me to partially disassembly that piece?

Any help is appreciated. This is a car that spent the last two years in Phoenix, got a new top from an independent shop and now resides in Pittsburgh, PA. With the cold weather approaching I want to store this car. First, the moisture must be found.
Gary
Not trying to be an *** or anything...But you might wanna check your car's history if you bought it used...I used to own a 91 Mazda Miata and i had a strange smell in my car...I could never get that smell out....So i took it back to the dealership where i bought it and the guy told me that he bought it from an auction....After 2 months i was finally able to track down my car's history and i found out that the previous owner had blown his brains out in the car...Some blood and other things were trapped back in the top area and it was causing a terrible musty smell.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:59 AM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

I bought my car used too! I did a carfax on it and everything came back fine. Mine was purchased from an auction as well from Atlanta and before than it was in North Carolina. Some stuff can be gathered from the carfax but not much.

How did you find out the history on yours? Your story is kinda morbid and interesting at the same time!
Old 11-15-2004, 09:33 PM
DUB 6
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Leadfoot

I bought my car used too! I did a carfax on it and everything came back fine. Mine was purchased from an auction as well from Atlanta and before than it was in North Carolina. Some stuff can be gathered from the carfax but not much.

How did you find out the history on yours? Your story is kinda morbid and interesting at the same time!
I looked around in the car and found a name and address of a man...I used reverse directory online and found his telephone number...I called his house and asked for him and when i did i was told that he was no longer with us...When i told here the reason i was calling, she told me that he had killed himself in that car...She had never intended for it to be sold...The guy from the auction came and picked the car up and told her that he was gonna part it out...instead he sold it....

Quick Reply: 97 covertible top question