General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

please help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 12:42 AM
RelapsedGT

Default please help!!!!

ok.. at first my car was running like crap like the injectors or something was clogged.. i ran a couple tanks with fuel injector cleaner in it and it didnt do anything.. so then i thought maybe im fowlin plugs.. so i checked the plugs that i put in about a year ago nd the were not even burnt or anything..you could still see the white.. at first it seemed like it was runnin better but then it ran like crap again.. then i changed the fuel filter and it still did it. it does it mostlywhen i get up to around 3500 rpm it starts boggin down and it kinda feels like it does when u r hitting the rev limiter.. i really need help.. i cant stand it bein like this and i dont want to mess it up even more by drivin it.. cananyone one help me.. i would really appreciate it.. what do u guys think it could be? thanks guys
Old 03-27-2007, 12:51 AM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

Default RE: please help!!!!

You are going to have to tell us what year the car is, the engine size, what changed to make it operate differently...........etc.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:12 AM
RelapsedGT

sorry.. i got a 95 GT, 5.0.. and nothing really changed that i know of.. i had let it sit for about a week because i was waiting to repair an axle and when i fixed it thats when it started running like this.. before then it acted up a little bit but i figured maybe the injectors were dirty so i put injector cleaner in it.. but now since i got it running again its acting like this
Old 03-27-2007, 10:43 AM
RelapsedGT

does anyone think that maybe it is the egr valve?
Old 03-27-2007, 10:55 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

If the car has a lot of miles (75-80,000) it could be the plug wires.They do wear out and that's how the engine runs when they go bad.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:14 AM
RelapsedGT

the car only has 85,000 miles on it and i did change the plug wires about a year ago.. im not sure if the would be the problem or not
Old 03-27-2007, 11:14 AM
GT579

I had a an exactproblem with a car I had, put on my buddys scanner and we watched theengines live data, we noticed the o2 sensor'swere pegged. Changed them and no more problems.This was after I dida full tune up and gas treatment about 4 times.The car would give me idle and full throttle and that is it, anything between it would buck and die out as you describe hitting the limiter. Theengine would break up even with no load. It was like i had water in the gas. I am pretty sure it's your o2's. When they go bad the numbers getting back to the car's brain or so out of wack the car doesn't know how much fuel todeliver, it will starve it or it will be way rich. Does the car smell like it's running rich?
Old 03-27-2007, 11:17 AM
RelapsedGT

no.. it doesnt really smell like its running rich.. you think thats what it is though?
Old 03-27-2007, 11:22 AM
RelapsedGT

would the check engine light come on if it is the o2 sensors
Old 03-27-2007, 01:41 PM
DesertMach
2nd Gear Member

We had a car here one time that had this same type of problem, idle was fine and would accelerate to mid throtle fine, but about 4k would just fall on its face, this car was hard to even get over 60 mph, after trying several thing to fix it we fould out that the cats had been replaced several years earlier by the honeycomb type of cats, anyway it turned out that the cats were clogged. kind of like putting a banana in the tail pipe lol.

Anyway hope this helps.