General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Front license plate problem....

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 07:23 PM
Evan1234

Default Front license plate problem....

I have a 2003 mustang mach 1and Ohio requires that you have a license plate on the front bumper but I dont want to drill holes in it. Is there an aftermarket bracket or something I can buy to avoid drilling holes in the bumper?

Heres what the bumper looks like.

http://www.alternativeauto.com/images/mach-1-front.jpg
Old 03-31-2007, 07:49 PM
Black_GT_02
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Front license plate problem....

I live in Ohio also.

I keep it in the back seat most of the time but when i go on roads other than country roads i stick it in the windshield in front of the passenger
Old 03-31-2007, 07:50 PM
Black_GT_02
4th Gear Member

a friend also told me that if there aren't any pre-holes for the plate...you don't have to put it in.

just word on the street...
Old 03-31-2007, 07:52 PM
Evan1234

if I get into an accident I dont want a sharp piece of metal flying at me from behind the windshield...lol
Old 03-31-2007, 08:00 PM
Black_GT_02
4th Gear Member

haha..yeah i've thought of that also.

That'd chop your f*cking head off

its a price to pay for a nice car... j/k

Old 03-31-2007, 08:01 PM
Evan1234

Ive seen the brackets for the newer mustnags that you can use without drilling, but I can seem to find one for an 03 mustang...
Old 04-01-2007, 01:32 AM
sams03gt
1st Gear Member

glue it, haahahha
Old 04-01-2007, 07:18 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

3M makes some good tapes that would work well.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:35 AM
dastangman
2nd Gear Member

Man, I had my plate in the front windshield. But here's my funny story to go with it.

Just got done with soccer practice, put my phone on the top of my car. Well I left, realized the phone had been there and decided to turn around and look for it. So I turn into this nursing home, planning to just turn around and go back to the stadium. I turn into the place, happen to end up in the handicap spot and go to back up. All of a sudden there's a cop there. He stops, and I'm at a loss of why he would pick me up, so I really don't think he is, plus his lights aren't on. So I go to back up, thinking he'll continue on his way. I gave him a funny look when he didn't move, and I suppose in my stupidity revved the engine to try to get his attention that I was backing up.

He gets out of the car, asks me to step out and have a seat in his car. This cop is a jerk. First he asks what I was doing, I'm 18, so it's not like it would matter if I'm out for a cruise or not, but I was honest and said I had had soccer practice and realized my phone was on the roof when I left. Then he proceeded to question why I had tried to run, and I finally convinced him that I wasn't, just was naive to the fact he was trying to pull me over. Finally, he got to his point, and while I'm sitting there in the car, he tells me I didn't have a front license plate. I say it's in my windshield and he says that that's illegal.

Honestly, I did not know that having it in the windshield wasn't legit, as I see people like that all the time, but he said I should have known and wrote me a 56.00 ticket. Then he accused me of being rude and that I should get fined for parking in a handicap zone, but it's hard to move your car when your blocked and further more forced to sit in the cop car.

Through it all, two lucky things did happen. My phone somehow got lodged under the spoiler, and he didn't see that my insurance card was for my other Mustang, as I accidentally mixed the two up and had them in the wrong cars. I am sure if he would have saw that it said the wrong mustang he would have accused me of not having proof of insurance.

I'm sure if I hadn't of stopped to turn around I would have been fine, as I pass cops all the time without a front plate. Never the less, I plan on gettting a different front bumper at somepoint, so I just drilled two small holes into it. When I do feel like taking it off, the holes aren't noticable from a distance of a few feet. But also, even windshield placement for plates doesn't work. Oh yeah, and I sware I was not rude to the cop, I really didn't want a ticket.