General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

slipping aod

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 05:33 PM
90vert5.0

Default slipping aod

A while back my aod started to slip pretty severely, and it still does. Just about every time i start driving my car, the transmission will fall out of gear, and not catch again until i rev the engine a few times. It gets better as i drive around for a while, i'm assuming because the transmission warms up. So when i changed the transmission fluid and filter, in the bottom of the pan i found a little white plastic ball (maybe 3/4 inch diameter) with a stem sticking off of one end. Does anyone know what this is and if this is the reason for the slipping? Also, how easy of a fix is it? Can i just put it back in place, and where would it go? I saw no place where it looked like it belonged.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:18 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: slipping aod

someone posted a question just like this some months back and the answer was don't worry about it, throw it away. it's just something left in the pan from the assembly process where something was used to temporarily plug a hole and they push it into the pan when they installed whatever it is that belongs in the hole.
Old 11-21-2004, 05:03 PM
90vert5.0

If thats the case, then what could be the cause for the slipping? The car only has 80k miles on it, and the previous owner was like a 50 year old woman, so it doesnt seem like the cause should be just normal wear. By the way, how sure are you that this is just a scrap peice from the assembly process? I'd hate to just pass this off, if it actually is an important peice. I was reading an article on installing a shift kit, and they mentioned something about plastic check *****.
This is the quote:
"The valve body contains six 1/4" plastic check *****, and one orange 5/16" check ball. Turn the valve body over carefully so the ***** and loose springs fall into the pan."
Any idea what they are refering to here? Thanks.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:56 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

the previous post from months ago included a photograph of one and several knowledgeable people said it was the temporary plastic plug used to close the dipstick tube opening until the dipstick was installed after the tranny/engine was in the chassis. installing the tube pushes the plug into the pan where it does no harm and is thrown away the first time the pan is dropped to service the filter and change the fluid.

the slippage could be low fluid pressure in the tranny which is partially a function of how the TV cable from the throttle body to the tranny is adjusted, so you might want to read up on this and try adjusting it to increase the internal pressure.
as far as the instructions go, they are referring to various devices used in the valve body to control the flow of the hydraulic fluids which is what the valve body does to control the tranny shifting. the valve body is in two halves, and taking it apart to modify it allows the loose check ***** and some other parts to fall out of their normal positions in the body. unless you're really comfortable doing the install, I would suggest you get a pro shop to install it or at least go to the junkyard and take one out of a wrecked tranny and experiment around with it until you see what you are getting yourself into if you choose to do it yourself.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:12 PM
90vert5.0

Thanks alot, that sounds like good advice. I'll search for that previous thread and do some research on adjusting that TB cable. Thanks again.