General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

93 AOD Torque converter DOES have a drain plug

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 01:40 PM
Bob63

Default 93 AOD Torque converter DOES have a drain plug

Hey guys, I found that my 93 5.0 AOD tranny does have a drain plug in the TC. It is a 7/16 ths plug, and is easy to get at, once you take the cover in front off. So now I will be able to fill her up with ALL clean new fluid. oh ya another bit of info, If anyone removed the tranny pan, and then finds a plug type thing about as big around as your thumb, in the bottom of the pan...it is garbage, and doesnt go back in, it is the plug for the tranny fill hole, that Ford puts in the hole so the fluid doesnt leak out on the line, When the fill tube is added, the plug is simply pushed down in the pan to stay there, till the 1st time the pan is removed for fluid change, so, I know my 93 with 75,000 miles was never changed!!
Old 12-09-2004, 09:08 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 93 AOD Torque converter DOES have a drain plug

ain't that exactly what I told you back in your other post? remove the dust cover in front of bellhousing and rotate engine and look for drain plug????? and you are correct about the plastic plug too.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:40 AM
Bob63

No roundman you didnt, you said you couldnt remember if your 88 had one or not. you advised me how to look for it, and I did and found it, AND there was a lot more than a quart in it as someone else said, so if you are going to replace the fluid out of the pan and you leave the torque full then you are wasteing your money changing fluid at all.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:04 AM
cammedlx
5th Gear Member

STFU newb LMAO j/k damn you learn something new everyday
Old 12-10-2004, 12:51 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Bob63

No roundman you didnt, you said you couldnt remember if your 88 had one or not. you advised me how to look for it, and I did and found it, AND there was a lot more than a quart in it as someone else said, so if you are going to replace the fluid out of the pan and you leave the torque full then you are wasteing your money changing fluid at all.
Don't pay any attention to stangpower96, he's just having a bad day or something! LOL
I stand corrected, I guess. too lazy to go back and read exactly what I said! LOL
and I agree with you about the need to drain it, but changing the fluid, cleaning out the pan and changing the filter is worth it also even if you don't drain the converter as most people don't even bother to get the tranny serviced at all. two thirds of a loaf is better than no loaf at all!
Old 12-10-2004, 01:48 PM
Bob63

lol,well if I knew what STFU was, I may be offended, but I dont!! So today, put the plug back in, put the cover on, and then start scraping away at the old pan gasket!!!!
Old 12-10-2004, 01:52 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

STFU = shut the f**k up
now you can be offended! LOL
Old 12-11-2004, 03:31 PM
Bob63

Oh ok, ya the 5th gear member who told me there was no drain plug!! Guess he doesnt know everything
Old 12-11-2004, 05:23 PM
fast83gt
3rd Gear Member

It all depends upon yhe year. My 1990 towncar had no drain plug. I'm sure it is the same on stangs that year.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:44 PM
Mach1_04

All AOD transmissions have a drain plug which is located behind the inspection shield through an access hole in the flexplate.You just have to rotate the converter to find it.All AODE trans have the drain plug located through the rubber grommet on the underside of the bell housing,have to rotate converter to find it also.A converter will hold between 3-5 qts,depends on how long you let it drain.

Quick Reply: 93 AOD Torque converter DOES have a drain plug