General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Mod with my gears

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 07:31 PM
DeadHead

Default Mod with my gears

Im getting 3.73 gears and was wondering what I should buy with it. I was thinking pullies or MAM or throttle body or plenum or chip. Which one would give me the most HP, keep in mind I have a AEM cai and Magnaflow catback. Also tell me the best brand for the product.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:09 PM
me alot fast than u
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Mod with my gears

well dude the sky is the limit...don't get so caught up in buying (the best ) parts...usally the only diffence is $$$ you pay.....also I would do your build up with what gives me the most horsepower for the least amount of cash..and don't forget used parts are great ways for your horsepower money to be stretched futher..intakes,maf,throttle bodies don't wear out..good luck
Old 12-18-2004, 08:11 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Change it to 4.10 gears & a Prochamber midpipe.
Old 12-18-2004, 11:26 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

I would get a full rear end gear install kit with all new bearings for both the differential and the axles for about $100 and get a $50 rebuild kit for the posi also and have it done when you installl the gears. No sense going into the rear and leaving anything old in there.
and you will need to get the computer tuned for the new gears so your speedo reads correctly too.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:29 AM
bull8t
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan02GT

Old 12-19-2004, 02:40 AM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: bull8t

ORIGINAL: Dan02GT

Old 12-19-2004, 02:27 PM
Mustangous
2nd Gear Member

I am not a big fan for 4.10's in a street car with basicly no other mods.. I have 3.73's in my 03 saleen and 4.10's in my 90 GT. In the street with my GT and street tires i was always play catch up with my other buddies because traction is horrible in first and 2nd. I had heads, cam, intake full exhaust, 4.10's, ect.... but no suspension work or sticky tires. They had just exhaust and 3.55's and I was just catching up to them at the end of the quarter( in the street). First is way too short for the street. They would get such a jump on me from the traction that it was really no fun to run cause the tries wouldnt hold the ground. Yeah everyone will say its the driver but bull. A car with no traction regaurdless of whos driving, your 60 foot is garbage and 60 foot is everything when you want a low ET, like Roundman's. And racing from a rolling start is not a real race. For the quarter mile everyone loves the 4.10's cause it puts the motor at a great rpm for the traps but for the street, you need traction. And tractions makes any driver seem a lot better than what he is. Oh and the traction with the saleen sucks too. JMO
Old 12-19-2004, 02:35 PM
Mustangous
2nd Gear Member

oh, and for example....In snow they say to start in 2nd gear for better traction. Rules apply the same. My GT performed better in the street with street tires taking off in 2nd (ride the clutch a bit), (with the 4.10s of course)then in first. Not great for the clutch but if you want to play you have to pay.
But for the track with slicks hold the hell on with 4.10's. Then they rock. but like i said for a strickly street car, IMO it doesnt do much good.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:11 PM
DeadHead

What brand of pullies should I get? I was looking a steeda or march?
Old 12-19-2004, 08:20 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Both are respectable but I went with Steeda and have yet to incure any problems.

Quick Reply: Mod with my gears