General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

GT 5.0 Head Swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 02:08 AM
MustangMan19

Default GT 5.0 Head Swap

Hi Im considering getting a mustang and I really want a black94 or 95 Mustang GTwith the 5.0 Engine and the 5spd transmission. I really like the 8cyl 5.0motor and the and the way the car looks.

My first question is if there is a way to put a DOHC on it and what would be required to do it. I already did a search but Im still interested in if it just bolts up or if I need to change the pistons or if a stock head gasket or even a thinner one would work for it. My other question is if there is a way to doa Ford Variable Valve Timingwith the DOHC like the Honda VTEC or the BMW VANOS system.

I would also like to knw if there is a way to have the engine run on 4cyl. Hey with gas prices on the rise and college bills to pay, if there was a way to do it, Im in. I can do it the only question is which cylinders to cut the fuel to so it still runs reliably. I just wanna make sure that when Im on the Highway I can save gas but when I wanna punch it, flip aswitch, and I have all the cylinders blowing fire.

As far as future mods, Im gonna deck out the motor for sure.

So any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Konrad
Old 07-04-2007, 03:02 AM
ih8chevy
5th Gear Member

Default RE: GT 5.0 Head Swap

uh well first off no to the whole statement. You cant turn an ohv car into an ohc car. Simply cant be done. secondyou cant makea variable valve timing either. Third off i highly doubt there is any way to shut off 4 cylinders of ur motor. that requires technology the 5.0 ford certainly doesnt have.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:13 AM
exforbrian
1st Gear Member

this has GOT to be a joke, DOHC on a 5.0? wow.... I dont even know where to start here.... Auto makers have tried for years to shut off cylinders to improve fuel milege, however it was not till this year that ford has made one, and its in the new f150, so you could take that motor and the ECM but that would cost 10 times what the car is worth, but its your money, just does not sound like an efficient way to save at the pump,.. how about you take an Auto shop class or two at that college you are attending, and then come tell us how to do these things... good luck, and BTW I would not talk about the rice burners on here unless its to put one down, I think we are all just about die hard ford fans... at least I am...
Old 07-04-2007, 06:05 AM
mustanglp87
1st Gear Member

AAAGREEED. if you want a dohc mustang, just get a 99-04 cobra.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:58 PM
90lxstang
4th Gear Member

Sure you can run on 4 cylinders....Just buy a destroyed V8 with 4 crappy ones
Old 07-05-2007, 03:10 AM
MustangMan19

Well the saving gas idea I got from the 300M on how it shuts 4 cyl and runs on 4 when needed and all 8 when it needs power, I would eigther cut power to the injectors with a relay and a switch or install a aftermarket ECU and take it from there.

Well Im just wondering if there is any type of Variable Valve Timing Technology on the Mustangs and if there is anything that can be done to put that on the 5.0 motor or the 4.6 motors, like a headswap and havea aftermarket ECU take car of the opening the solenoids,this way I have a good idle and good low end power and then to havegreat top endpower, basically thats the point of it.

Oh and I totally forgot that those motors are ohv motors.

Basically I wanna build up a Mustang with that body style while trying to utilize newer technology
Old 07-05-2007, 03:43 AM
exforbrian
1st Gear Member

well I will be the first to say this (but not the first to think it,) your a nut..
Old 07-05-2007, 12:28 PM
1991LX5.0
3rd Gear Member

^+1 your going to have to sink tons of money into it just to save what like 5MPG? it just doesnt make sense
Old 07-05-2007, 01:51 PM
red95gtconvert
2nd Gear Member

exforbrian, the 95 in your signature pic looks tiny compared to the 07

Old 07-06-2007, 12:17 AM
strkrstang87

if you are worried about saving money at the pump DON'T BUY A V8 especially a 5.0 and dont expect your gas milage to go up when you start madding i think everyone here can varify that it works the other way around... BIG V8 + lots of mods = big time gas guzzler. i speak from first hand experience i own a 91 fox with a 347 in it

Quick Reply: GT 5.0 Head Swap