General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

check engine light came on...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 02:15 PM
RollinThunder
3rd Gear Member

Default check engine light came on...

my check engine came on thursday night on my way home I didnt drive it at all yesterday and this morning I turned it on 2 c if the light was still there and it was...this happened to me b4 about 2-3 months ago ...the light came on I brang it 2 ford and they said that the chip I had in the car wouldnt let them c what was wrong and they charged me to look at it sense the chip wasnt under there warranty...so I just disconnected the battery for 15 min. and the light hasnt come on until now...so I did the same thing I did last time w/ the battery and in 10 min I'll connect everything and c if the check engine light is still on...my question is what do u think sets the light on like that?...is it something wrong w/ my car or does something really little trigger the check engine light???....I remember awhile back the head mechanic at ford who races at the same track as I do told me that when a car is tuned like my is were the ECU was tuned to very specific settings that alot of things could set the light off ..for instance getting differant brands of gas and so on...so ever sense then I've gone to the same gas station and the same pump and everythings been fine until now...so what do u think could have tripped off the light?
Old 01-15-2005, 02:19 PM
Hells GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: check engine light came on...

Well do you have MIL eliminators on your O2 sensors? When I installed my exhaust I did not put the MILs on and it took nearly 2 weeks befroe my check engine light came on. We have the identical setup from headers to pipes.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:22 PM
RollinThunder
3rd Gear Member

yea I have mil eliminators on...ford cracked my o2 sensors when they put my new tranny in about 2-3 months back...I brang it back to them and they put new ones on and ever since then my car has been fine...no lights or nothing...until now...
Old 01-15-2005, 05:14 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

I don't really know how you can diagnose any problems with your car unless it's puffing smoke or not starting. Our cars have so many sensors in them, it would take days for you to figure out where the problem is coming from. I really don't know what to tell you.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:50 AM
RollinThunder
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan02GT

I don't really know how you can diagnose any problems with your car unless it's puffing smoke or not starting. Our cars have so many sensors in them, it would take days for you to figure out where the problem is coming from. I really don't know what to tell you.
its pissing me off tho dan...I disconnected my battery and half hour later I connected everything back up started and drove the car for over half an hour...turned it off...after work 7 hours later I started her up stilll no service engine light then 5 min of driving her and the F****** light comes on again...what should I do?????
Old 01-16-2005, 04:15 AM
Pacman
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan02GT

well thats why the ecu stores codes. very simple to find. alls you have to do is pull your codes off your ecu. if there is a problem with any sensor then the ecu will hold this data until it has been cleared. perform the koeo test (key on engine off) find your problem in minites and fix the problem the first time instead of changing unnecessary parts.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:03 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Well he has a dyno tuned chip, and unfortunately I don't know how compatible it is to pull codes off with a scanner.

Why don't you try having the code pulled again or take it back to your dyno tuner and get some advice...
Old 01-16-2005, 05:13 AM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RollinThunder

my check engine came on thursday night on my way home I didnt drive it at all yesterday and this morning I turned it on 2 c if the light was still there and it was...this happened to me b4 about 2-3 months ago ...the light came on I brang it 2 ford and they said that the chip I had in the car wouldnt let them c what was wrong and they charged me to look at it sense the chip wasnt under there warranty...so I just disconnected the battery for 15 min. and the light hasnt come on until now...so I did the same thing I did last time w/ the battery and in 10 min I'll connect everything and c if the check engine light is still on...my question is what do u think sets the light on like that?...is it something wrong w/ my car or does something really little trigger the check engine light???....I remember awhile back the head mechanic at ford who races at the same track as I do told me that when a car is tuned like my is were the ECU was tuned to very specific settings that alot of things could set the light off ..for instance getting differant brands of gas and so on...so ever sense then I've gone to the same gas station and the same pump and everythings been fine until now...so what do u think could have tripped off the light?
Dude, i know how u feel...i HATE it when my service engine soon light is on.it pisses me off...but yea like they said it could be ANYTHING thats doing it...usually tho, its those o2 sensors that turn n that light....i had a problem with those in my 00v6, i got all 4 replaced, then i came on AGAIN..this time a "incorrect air flow" which means it could be my air or water pump or something ...or maybe wiring...so idk...ford is not very good at these carss sometimes...i mean theyre fun but stupid crap happens that makes u keep wasting money on dumb minor stuff..but ya if u have an autozone, they read ur engine codes for free...so see wat the problem is, then go to a trusted mechanic....DONT GO TO THE FORD DEALERSHIP!! cuz sometimes, theyre tricky, theyll fix one thing, and then loosen up somthing else so 2-3 months down the line, ull be coming bak to get something else fixed (this is true, i have a friend who works ina dealership and they do this cuz when they have slow days selling cars, at least they can make SOME money)
but yeah good luck dude
Old 01-16-2005, 05:37 AM
Pacman
2nd Gear Member

you dont need to take it anywheres to get your codes checked. you only need a little jumper wire to short the ecu then count your flashes on your check engine light and it will give you a code number. you then look the code # up and there is your problem. i had done it numerous times on my 95f150 and the old ladys old car 91 sunbird. never failed me yet. takes a whole 5 minites maybee to pull codes and anyone can do it.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:45 AM
Mike02GT
1st Gear Member

yeah that sucks man.. i would go with a predator... chips are kindof a hassle. plus witha predator you can use the obdII scan tool to pull up the codes to see what is wrong...

Quick Reply: check engine light came on...