General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Oil Quality

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 06:41 PM
orange_crush
1st Gear Member

Default Oil Quality

I would like to know everyones opinion on the difference between brand name oils....
Obviously there is a difference between regualer and synthetic etc...my question is this
What is the real difference between a 5w40 fully synthetic Pennzoil and a 5w40 fully synthetic Mobil1?
I think we all want the best for our cars, however, aren't we just paying for the name with some of these oils??
To think that Mobil1 doesn't have a higher mark up because of higher marketing and advertising costs when compared to other brands is stupid.

Think of it this way...if you buy a pair of Nike shoes, some of what you are paying for is to make up for the millions paid to athletes like Tiger Woods, not just a better quality. These companies need to make up for the hundreds of millions paid on marketing, and we are the ones making up for it.

Here's the two points I have

1)Synthetic oil tries to convince you that you can change your oil less frequently, but they do it, in part ,to justify the higher cost (no oil is better than another at repelling dirt and contaminants. Mobil1 gets dirty as fast as Wal-Mart brand)
2)Some companies like Mobil1 pay top dollar to vehicle manufacturers to recommend using their brand, when in actuality the engine does not know the difference. In turn we buy the higher priced brand, which is only priced higher because of the money they spend on stuff like this

Please share your take on this topic.

[IMG]local://upfiles/73430/5AFF72FC16094E1296183BBFD37D8F0A.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-25-2007, 10:59 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Oil Quality

Mobil 1 and Pennzoil synthetics are both entry level in terms of quality. Amsoil, Redline, and Royal Purple are the upper-tier oils. You will notice a significant different between upper tier and entry level synthetics.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:48 PM
93_five_oh
2nd Gear Member

Then why is it that porsche and other high end companies use Mobil1? I highly doubt they get it for free as a marketing gimmick.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:15 AM
69coupe415ci
1st Gear Member

i use 89cent a qt on sale whatever.. mine still runs AND its seen 65k-7k rpm.. even had the motor appart and everyhing was VERY clean. no sludge, very little bearing wear.. ex..

But i probbaly change the oil every 2k miles because thats when it starts to turn dark brown..

and i tryed synthetic and it didnt last much longer.. still got dirty, still got smelly, still got old

JOSH
Old 07-26-2007, 05:51 AM
orange_crush
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Colorado_Mustang

Mobil 1 and Pennzoil synthetics are both entry level in terms of quality. Amsoil, Redline, and Royal Purple are the upper-tier oils. You will notice a significant different between upper tier and entry level synthetics.
Thanks for replying...that's my question...what is the difference?
Old 07-26-2007, 05:53 AM
orange_crush
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 93_five_oh

Then why is it that porsche and other high end companies use Mobil1? I highly doubt they get it for free as a marketing gimmick.
You misunderstood what I wrote. They don't get it free....Mobil1 pays them millions $ of dollars for them to use their oil. That's why in turn it is more expensive.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:34 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Yea it is tough to weed out the reality from all the hype. I think the vast majority of car enthusiasts are "brand loyal" to one oil or another, and it's sometimesfunny to hear one guy stating "Quaker State" is the best while another will say "Pennzoil" is the absolute finest when most likely neither guy has any actualfacts to back up their preference. There's nothing wrong with being brand loyal (I myself have been using Quaker State lately ) but I think you're right in your initial theory.. most brands/grades of equivalent costingoils are quite similar.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:16 PM
orange_crush
1st Gear Member

Anyone else have an opinion on this...would like to know if I'm wasting money if I buy the "good stuff"