General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

what to look for

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 12:02 PM
thekevin

Default what to look for

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a mustang to buy, but i have a few questions first. If i want a V8 that is in good shape, how many miles is too many? what problems should i look for if there is a high number of miles? I like the mustangs and want to buy one, but I also want to know what to expect going into it.

Thank you,

The Kevin
Old 08-01-2007, 12:37 PM
Checkk
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: what to look for

What body style do you want?
Old 08-01-2007, 01:29 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Do some real research for yourself.
How much do you want to spend?
Does a newer (99+) power improved engine matter to you?
What will the car be used for?

Look around on used car sites and compare prices.Get a Carfax subscription.They aren't perfect but can save you from making a mistake.If you are looking to makebigger HP numbers,the PI engine might be the way to go.If you are wanting to make huge gobs of HP it doesn't matter,you'll be buying new stuff anyway.
These engines can last a loooong timewith proper care,but the bodies,interiors,and chassis parts will wear out and must be replaced,sometimes at considerable expense.Shop around.There are a lot of Mustangs around so don't fall in love and buy the first one you see.Foe every one sold there are thousands to take it's place.Try to trick the seller into incriminating themselves by telling about the races they might have won.This isn't a deal killer but if the car has been run hard all it's life it might not have a lot of life left.Look for deferred maintenance,dark brown brake fluid,low coolant,burnt automatic tranny fluid,oil leaks,rips and tears in the upolstery,grinding manual tranny shifts,and low power steering fluid.Even things like streaking windshield wipers can indicate a car with poor maintenance records.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:15 PM
thekevin

well thanks for that info, knowing that an engine can last a while eases me a bit. the car i am driving now is falling apart and i only have 95k miles on it. long story, my sister drove it before me, etc. I have no preference with regards to the body style. The car will be driven to school and back, some trips home, etc. I do want to build it up a little, but being a college student, its not going to happen in the near future. I am looking for a little power, some the 99+ might be a better buy. I have a budget of about $5000, so it isnt unreasonable. I do need to do some research, and now that i know there are many mustangs on the market helps. thanks for the help again.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:35 PM
Checkk
2nd Gear Member

$5000 for a 99+ won't get you the greatest car. I'm not saying you won't find one, but it will be pretty beat and will need some work.

I'd say you should consider an 87-93 5.0, if you want to build it up and something easy to work on. That would run you $3,500 for something in okay condition. $4,000 for something that is in pretty good condition. They are fairly reliable up until about 150,000 miles.

Or, you could go with a v6 sn95.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:24 PM
94Blk5.0
5th Gear Member

For 5K you could get a lightly modded SN95. Mine has 135K on it, and it doesn't even burn oil. Use your better judgement, if you feel that the car has not been maintained or it has been abused, walk away. There are plenty of nice cars for 5K, so be paient. It will last as long as it is maintianed, reasonablly speaking. A Fox or SN95 with a few tastful mods would be a nice,reliable ride, and get good MPG as well.