General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Which Stang to choose

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 05:26 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

Default Which Stang to choose

I am wanting to start a project car in the form of a mustang. I already have a new DD so newer models are out of the question. I really like the notchback foxes, as well as the sn-95 body styles. I can't really decide which one to go with. In New Jersey finding a notchback in good condition even with a 4 banger is damn near impossible, but the 96-98 stangs are everywhere. The questions are should I hold out and do the 5.0 notchback, or dive right in with the 96-98 GT. I know that the latter is one of the "worst" performingstangs in recent memory but I have heard with a good head and intake swap they really wake up. As for the goal I want a street machine that looks clean and performs well. I plan on doing a few thing no matter what car I get and that includes a H/C/I swap as well as a full exhaust and a set of gears. I was wondering if you guys could give me your opinions on which car I should start out with, as far as cost and parts availability. Keep in mind that this will be a staged build up and I am in no real rush to finish, the 07 civic Si DD will keep me happy for a little while.(Sorry for the long post)
Old 08-22-2007, 09:36 PM
1991LX5.0
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Which Stang to choose

well a notchback will be the lightest weight and have the stiffest body but yes they are extremley hard to find in good condition and when they are they pull top dollar. If you dont like the style of the hatchbacks i would look into probably a 94-95. They still had the 5.0 motor which are much easier to work on than the OHC engines and have a huge aftermarket and performance parts are easily affordable. Any perticular reason why your not considering a 94-95?
Old 08-23-2007, 11:09 AM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

Because the 94-95s also go for a higher price than you would expect in my area. I can find a 96-98 with the same body condition as a 94-95 with half the miles as a 5.0 for about half the price. I do like the body stlye but not nearly as much as the notchback. Also I was wondering if a 5.0 would fit into a 96-98, because the engines did come in that body style so I figure all I'd have to change out is the motormounts and the ecu. If I can do this then there are hundereds of v6 stangs laying around with huge potential. In the v6s, did any of them come with the 8.8 and a strong enough trans or would it be easier to start with a gt fo a build up?(again sorry for the long post but I am searching and not finding exactly what I need) I am open to all suggestions if anybody has a better idea of what to start with.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:06 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

Any suggestions as far as cost for engine build ups and other cost as to which engine/carI should go with?
Old 08-23-2007, 02:29 PM
Murdoc
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Projectquick

Any suggestions as far as cost for engine build ups and other cost as to which engine/carI should go with?
get a fox body. as for the motor, go with the 302. stroke it and blow it.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:49 PM
1991LX5.0
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Murdoc

ORIGINAL: Projectquick

get a fox body. as for the motor, go with the 302. stroke it and blow it.
+1. I went through this same debate when i was looking for a mustang and i quickly figured out that a 302 was the best for what i wanted to do. I wanted a notch but i couldnt find any in my area that werent rusted out. Its not hard to make great power with the 302 as you can see in my sig. You should be able to find a LX/GT in good shape for a good price, i know theirs tons of them everywhere
Old 08-23-2007, 03:04 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

Thats the thing, I can get one for a great price but none with less than 130,000 miles. I want an under 100,000 mile vehicle, less than 80,000 miles would be best. As for the stroker or forced induction I want this to be a pure street machine with say between 325 and 350 whp. I know 302s are cake to work on but I would rather not have to rebuild the engine, trans, and rear before even starting the project. I want the stock trans and rear to hold up for a little while after the engine work so I can afford a good set of brakes and a good cooling system to keep the engine from eating itself, the money saved on costly rebuilds can be used in other places.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:15 PM
1991LX5.0
3rd Gear Member

Just keep looking. I looked for a while for my car because i wanted to find one with every option i wanted. I eventually ended up having to drive about 4 hours each way just to go look at the car but endud up driving it home. Just punch what your looking for and your price range in autotrader and im sure youll find at least a few cars
Old 08-23-2007, 03:29 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

All things being equal, choose the one that makes you grin like an idiot when you look at it. Then you have the right one.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:32 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

Again I like both but really want to start this project as soon as possible. I don't want to however rush into something and buy a ****ty car. I just can't decide if saving the money buying a 96-98 is worth it when it comes to modifying it. I know of at least a hunder places within ten miles of me that can do killer work on 5.0s for the price of me building a 4.6 in my driveway, but still can't decide.

Quick Reply: Which Stang to choose