General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1 wheel drive????

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 10:50 AM
naty_M3

Default 1 wheel drive????

A friend of mine says his '98 mustang conv. is 1 wheel drive... (that when he tries to make a burn-out only the right rear tire is rubbin') can someone please tell me the real story about the RWD of these cars?
PS- I dont know anything about these types of cars... Just trying to learn.
Thanx,
Naty ///M
Old 02-16-2005, 11:48 AM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 1 wheel drive????

It doen't have a posi-rear end. It has a limited slip. You can do numerous things to make it posi. Pegleg burnouts are stupid.[8D]
Old 02-16-2005, 01:11 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: naty_M3

A friend of mine says his '98 mustang conv. is 1 wheel drive... (that when he tries to make a burn-out only the right rear tire is rubbin') can someone please tell me the real story about the RWD of these cars?
Thanx,
Naty ///M
there are three types of rear differentials in use today: open type, positive traction type, and locked type. in the open type differential, only one wheel gets all the torque from the engine to drive the car forward, the right rear wheel.
in the positive traction type, the differential has various designs which provide torque to both the rear wheels under hard acceleration but still acts like an open differential when the car makes a turn by letting the outer wheel freewheel so it can turn easily. there are many types and names for positive traction differentials like Ford's Traction Lok, limited slip, Auburn, Eaton, and Detroit Locker.
in the locked type differential, there is no differential but instead a spool is used which connects both rear wheels to the ring gear at all times so both wheels get the same torque from the engine at all times. this type is a drag race only rear end which is not good for street use as the tires cannot freewheel in turn and this scrubs off the rubber tread in the tires over a short time.
an open differential can be modified to be a positive traction one with the addition of a posi-type differential housing being added to it.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:13 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

sounds like the track loc went bad
Old 02-16-2005, 04:09 PM
naty_M3

thanx a million!
i can see what a moron he is... 1 wheel drive?? JA!
Old 02-16-2005, 06:19 PM
fast83gt
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SilverGTV8

It doen't have a posi-rear end. It has a limited slip. You can do numerous things to make it posi. Pegleg burnouts are stupid.[8D]
Posi is a chevy name for limited slip. Limited slip would let you do a two wheeled burnout.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:43 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

Mabye your friend has a V-6 mustang. Which dont come stock with a limited slip. So thats what happens when you try a burn out. Nothings wrong with it, if thats the case.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:37 PM
pipeliner
1st Gear Member

Ask him if he wants to buy a traclok with 500 miles on it. I just took mine out and but in a true-trac
Old 02-16-2005, 10:49 PM
DaGGer
4th Gear Member

yea i know one wheel burn outs suck...but hey i can put some good amount of smoke with my one wheel...just really sucks though
Old 02-20-2005, 02:50 AM
Ezrider
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: roundman

ORIGINAL: naty_M3

Thanx,
Naty ///M
there are three types of rear differentials in use today: open type, positive traction type, and locked type. in the open type differential, only one wheel gets all the torque from the engine to drive the car forward, the right rear wheel.
in the positive traction type, the differential has various designs which provide torque to both the rear wheels under hard acceleration but still acts like an open differential when the car makes a turn by letting the outer wheel freewheel so it can turn easily. there are many types and names for positive traction differentials like Ford's Traction Lok, limited slip, Auburn, Eaton, and Detroit Locker.
in the locked type differential, there is no differential but instead a spool is used which connects both rear wheels to the ring gear at all times so both wheels get the same torque from the engine at all times. this type is a drag race only rear end which is not good for street use as the tires cannot freewheel in turn and this scrubs off the rubber tread in the tires over a short time.
an open differential can be modified to be a positive traction one with the addition of a posi-type differential housing being added to it.
i may have read your post wrong and im not trying to step on your toes. basicly you are right, but an open diff will tranfer power to both wheels untill one brakes traction then all the power will transfer to the wheel with the least resistance thew the spider gears. posi traction uses cluch packs and alows one side to slip a little for making turns but both tires are still engauged. this is best for a street drivin car but in siuations where one tire has far less traction than the other the tire with the least resistance will get about 60% of the power and the tire with more traction will only get about 40% of the power.

Quick Reply: 1 wheel drive????