General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

I need a know it all,please.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 12:53 AM
tireboil25

Default I need a know it all,please.

I have an 87 notch that as been converted to mass air. new motor that i just finished,now heres the history of problems. Car leans out horribly resulting in total loss @ top end and bright red headers. I've been back and forth with a meter trying to track where the root of the problem is. recent codes show basically all emmission related failures,"cause there not there anymore", and code 95, secondary fuel pump circuit failure which is not at all suprising sinse the 87 did not have the little pink and black wire lead off the load side of the fuel pump relay for eec to read like the later models do. Any way I replaced the 02 sensors and some other tune up type parts and recently found that the idle air bypass solenoid was not getting a strong enough ground through the eec to pulse resulting suprisingly in a good idle but also a loud whistle. I swapped out the A9S eec for a A9L I had laying around after finding that all eec grouds were solid. This fixed the problem with the Idle air operation and maybe some other problems as well. Havent had it out for a test yet.
I checked the amp draw of the iac or iabc ,"whatever u want to call it", and it read out @ a peak of 50 some odd amps. I'm not sure if that is actual or if the pulsing is playing tricks with my meter. Energized on the battery it pulls 1.5 amps. I need to know if the diode ran in the circuit could somehow effect this. I'm not to firmiliar about the opperation of it. For the longest time I thought it was a fused link. bottom line I don't want to fry another eec over an unfound orriginal cause of failure.The incomeing voltage to the iac reads about 6 or seven volts when pulsing. again i'm not sure if I can trust that reading considering how fast the iac pulses. Is this a normal opperation or do I have a poor connection somewhere? Reading voltage from the hot lead directly to a ground shows a constant 12 volts even when the iac is pulsing. another question is on the code 95. Will the eec do anything other than throw that code without the signal wire from the pump?

Car info; 306 ,trickflow itake, roush heads, custom grind cam, 75mm thrttle and mass, 30lb injectors, long tube headers. Its brief but I'm tired.