General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Labor Rates?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 11:14 PM
motorowlands

Default Labor Rates?

I don't normally work on other peoples cars but a friend asked me to do some work onhis 68 GT. I'm in between projects andcould use a little extra cash to fund the next one.He wants to completelyupgrade the front suspension and steering components.[/align][/align]I would be removing all existing components and replacing them with:[/align][/align]-Global West upper andlower control armswith adjustable strut rods and bushings[/align]-Total Control Products power rack and pinion kit with variable speed pump, and bump steer tie rod kit[/align]-Springs and shocks[/align]-Sway bar[/align]-Flaming River collapsible tilt steering column[/align]-Re-use existing spindles[/align][/align]What would be a reasonable price to charge just for the labor? He's supplying all parts.[/align][/align][/align][/align]
Old 11-01-2007, 06:40 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Labor Rates?

Shops around here charge around $70-85 per hour.. but if it's a buddy then you can cut him a break, whatever you think you wanna do. Keep close tabs on how much time you're actually WORKING on the car and remember a project always has a way of taking twice as long as you initially thought lol. Just stoppping to fix one seized/busted bolt can add an hour.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:02 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

There's a very specialized performance shop in my area that is known for installing superchargers/turbos/nitrous packs. They charge $80.00 per hour.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:42 PM
motorowlands

Thanks for the feed back. The only time I ever take a vehicle to a garage is for inspection and I see those $70-80 an hr rates, I've seen as high as $109at one dealer and I'm reminded why I have always done my own work. I enjoy wrenching as well but it's just a hobby and I have no overhead soI could never justify those outrageous prices. I guess I'll just go about half of the going rate, thatshould be fair. LOL,yes, I am more then familiar with seized bolts or removing half the engine components toget a wrench onthat one bolt.[/align]