General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

track racing

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 10:11 PM
bingkewl
1st Gear Member

Default track racing

can you guys give me the run down on track racing? i live 2miles away from the VIR raceway, but i don't know sh.t about how to get onto it and stuff. do i have to take a test? do i have to rent the whole track? can i race with other drivers? what do i need to do?

:::Edit:::

i don't want to do professional racing or anything. i just wanna take my car to the track, see what it can do. race a person or two, nothing serious. i mean, i'm just trying to find a place where i can race, but not get a ticket.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:24 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

Default RE: track racing

ORIGINAL: bingkewl

can you guys give me the run down on track racing? i live 2miles away from the VIR raceway, but i don't know sh.t about how to get onto it and stuff. do i have to take a test? do i have to rent the whole track? can i race with other drivers? what do i need to do?

:::Edit:::

i don't want to do professional racing or anything. i just wanna take my car to the track, see what it can do. race a person or two, nothing serious. i mean, i'm just trying to find a place where i can race, but not get a ticket.
your talking about a dragstrip then? find their website and look for dates that they have open track days(my dragstrip has them listed as funday sunday or test and tune - this means you pay 20 bucks and you can race for 7 hours). theres no test required that ive heard of. on those daysyou just line up with anyone and have at it. or just get their phone number and call them up and ask them when they have anything like that, track here only does it first and third sunday of the month and every thursday night. the rest of the time is bracket races or whatever.

btw...
bring some window chalk also so you can chalk your windows, alot of places dont provide it (its your number so they can punch in whose racing so you can get your slip at the end of the race)
Old 11-14-2007, 07:34 AM
DesertMach
2nd Gear Member

^^^ Agreed, At our track they supply the shoe polish.. Lol
But ya look for the website of the track, it will tell you the dates and times of thier test and tunes nights, usually there will be a page of what to exspect as in your Tech inspection, keeping your speed down while not on the track, stageing, which lane to leave the track on etc. and depending on what your car runs and what you have modded you may be required certain additional safety equipment, Helmet if runninf 13.99 or faster(at least thats what it is here) a fire jacket if you have nitrous, etc... Check out the web site, and have a blast.

I would also suggest when you go that you watch some of the other racers for a while before you run. This way you see where you need to stop for the timing lights and such, you don't want to look like a fool in the staging lane.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:17 AM
bingkewl
1st Gear Member

lol, i can so see myself blowing pass thetiming lights, and what ever i'm spose 2 stop at. the only races i've caried to watch are the motorcycle races at the track. those are fun. im i evil for looking forward to the crashes?

$20 for 7hrs, vn. i think the VIR track is $50 for 2hrs.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:32 AM
bingkewl
1st Gear Member

hey hey, the tracks around me are like $5 to get on. every wednessday night. woot!
Old 11-15-2007, 09:48 AM
Gary H
4th Gear Member

VIR isnt a drag strip.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:34 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bingkewl

lol, i can so see myself blowing pass thetiming lights, and what ever i'm spose 2 stop at. the only races i've caried to watch are the motorcycle races at the track. those are fun. im i evil for looking forward to the crashes?

$20 for 7hrs, vn. i think the VIR track is $50 for 2hrs.
i would have to say yes to this. last time i was at the dragway here literally as i pulled into the staging area a guy on a bike hit the pavement at the end of the thing. we were sitting there for an hour while they cleaned up the mess. he broke his shoulder i believe but nothing life threatening

50 bucks for 2 hours? wtf?
Old 11-15-2007, 02:12 PM
golden_eye
3rd Gear Member

Lol, some of you guys seem to be confused. Like Gary H said, VIR isn't a dragstrip - it's a full road course. I haven't done any open track events (though I would love to try and make it to Sebring, which is near me, sometime) but that price seems to be around what I was expecting for something like that. A night at the drag strip is lots cheaper but you are only going in a straight line...
Old 11-16-2007, 01:02 PM
bingkewl
1st Gear Member

right, VIR isn't a dragstrip, but still..$50 seems alot. but what do i know?

motercycle crashes can be brutal. i saw a dude completly taken apart. leg over there and the other a few yards away, abdomen over there, head some where over there...really nasty.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:13 AM
Gary H
4th Gear Member

$50 for 2 hrs isnt bad. Just go prepared with extra gas etc. After 2 hrs on a road course you're going to be tired...

Quick Reply: track racing