General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

trans cooler and others

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 12:13 AM
fordguy17
4th Gear Member

Default trans cooler and others

finally got my car! its a 92 black hb gt. i will be posting pics of it very soon. In the meantime i have a question. it came with a 2800 rpm stall converter and a shift kit both freshly installed. it also came with a tranny cooler but its not installed yet. i know this is very important and i will be installing it on friday. heres the question: where do i mount it? in front of the a/c "radiator"? there are no brackets or instructions. i haven't really crawled under the car to check for fitting so are there any? should i use some kind of sealant on these connections? is there a complete write up somewhere?

i will also be doing an oil change on friday and i was wondering if i should use synthetic. the car just turned 126k. i will not be driving it very hard but i do like to hear mufflers every now and then. is there anything good about synthetic to justify its price or should i just use castrol gtx or equivalant?

the car also came with a fuel pressure regulator. i smelled some raw gas when i popped the hood, and checked for leaks. i found a bit of gas by the regulator and was wondering how to fix this. is there a gasket? (fyi its brand new)

thanks in advance. pics and mods coming soon.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:55 AM
Broken
1st Gear Member

Default RE: trans cooler and others

I wouldnt worry to much about the tranny cooler with a 2800 stall. But every extra bit of cooling helps. There also usually mounted in front of the radiator if you decide to hook it up.

Synthetic oil is generally better due to the fact it doesnt break down as fast so you dont have to change it so often. Dont waste time with those "blend" oils.

Dont know what type of regulator you have but maybe it just needs a little tightening on the fittings?
Old 03-09-2005, 04:36 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

a trans cooler is a good idea even with a stock transmission and stock motor. it will mount in front of the ac condencer anywhere you want it to. i put mine just slightly more on the drivers side at the bottom. for mounting, usually there are some plastic rods that look a little like zip ties. you feed them through the condencer and put a little cap on it to hold it in tight.
according to b&m 90% of transmission failures are due to over heating so its a good item to have in there
Old 03-09-2005, 06:19 PM
fordguy17
4th Gear Member

broken-its an aeromotive fpr. i will tighten the fittings down some more.

about mounting the cooler in front of the ac condenser-that won't affect the coolness of the a/c air? i live in south carolina and it gets damn hot and humid down here over the summer.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:27 PM
rsw007
4th Gear Member

mine is mounted using metal strips from the bumper down to the fog light bar. but have since removed fog light bar so bottom is wire tied to bumper cover that use to mount to fog light bar. can email pics if needed.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:41 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

no mounting the cooler infront of the ac condencer wont effect the ac. its so small incomparison to the condersor. b&m recomended it in the instructions that came with mine
Old 03-10-2005, 02:35 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

you definitely need to install the trans cooler in order to protect the trans from overheating with that shift kit and high stall converter.
the stock trans cooler in the radiator is really too small for even a stock trans, much less a modified one, so hook it up soon.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:31 PM
fordguy17
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rsw007

mine is mounted using metal strips from the bumper down to the fog light bar. but have since removed fog light bar so bottom is wire tied to bumper cover that use to mount to fog light bar. can email pics if needed.
it would be great if you could e-mail me some pics. maxxracer@sc.rr.com

roundman-i will hook it up tomorrow. do i have to use any kind of sealent on the threads? teflon tape?
Old 03-11-2005, 12:46 AM
fordguy17
4th Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: fordguy17

ORIGINAL: rsw007

it would be great if you could e-mail me some pics. maxxracer@sc.rr.com

does anybody have a step by step write up about installing these things? i have searched the web, but i can't find a write-up for a 5.0 mustang. thanks.

Old 03-11-2005, 11:46 AM
rsw007
4th Gear Member

ill take some pics tonight.

Quick Reply: trans cooler and others