General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

can some one tell me if this is possible

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 01:43 AM
nuknfuts

Default can some one tell me if this is possible

i want to take an 79-81 mustang coupe or an 88-92 mustang coupe or hatch non conv and drop a 300 inline 6 in it is this possible d wat all will i need to switch out to do this and please dont post anything about why donti jus do the 5.0 im not doing this for the power im doing this for the uniqueness and ive had a mustang with an 260 inline 6 and loved it now i want a bigger and better one if i can find it thank you for your help
Old 12-08-2007, 02:00 AM
clix813
4th Gear Member

Default RE: can some one tell me if this is possible

not to sure if its possible but those 300 are beasts. iv heard that they are the best gas engine ever put into a truck. Also they last over 500k. There great engines.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:26 AM
ewgoetz
3rd Gear Member

No idea whats involved in it, but i'm sure if you have the right tools and the time anything can be done.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:10 PM
golden_eye
3rd Gear Member

Hmm, you are on the right track if you want something unique. I have a truck with that same engine and I agree it's one of Ford's best engines. Mine is slowly approaching the 300k mile mark. It's not much of a performer thoughwith only ~150hp but is torquey as hell with 265 lb-ft. I haven't even thought about this kind of swap so I may be wrong but I'll tell you a couple things that I think may come up.

Performance-wise, it's a bit lacking like I mentioned above. Also because it's a truck engine it is cammed for a low powerband: it's pretty much useless to rev my truck above 3500rpm since the hp/tq both peak around 3000 and it falls on it's face above that. I feel like I'm driving a diesel truck most of the time. Also it's a pretty "tall" engine from the looks of it, so I doubt it would fit under anyhood close to stock dimensions. I'm not sure about this, but it's also very likely you will have to custom-fab a K-member. I don't know if the truck 4.9 and 5.0 engines share a k-member or not but it's doubtful that an F-150 k-member will fit in your 'stang. Another thing is that your transmission selection may be limited as the only transmission that the F-series and Mustangs shared was the C4, C6, and AOD. So a stick shift would probably not be an option.

Long story short you have a long, difficult project ahead of you but good luck if you decide to follow through with something unique like that