General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

radar detector question

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 06:32 PM
redemption
3rd Gear Member

Default radar detector question

Has anyone had any luck with the beltronics vector 955?
Old 01-11-2008, 10:43 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

Default RE: radar detector question

most lasers are "instant-on"

unless he is shooting someone ahead of you.....it'll detect it awesome....right when he shoots you

Old 01-12-2008, 02:50 AM
redemption
3rd Gear Member

lol that sucks
Old 01-12-2008, 04:28 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

if your lucky to even detect it. i've gotten busted twice on laser and never even knew it. the problem with detecting laser is the beam has to actually hit the detector. your talking about a small beam bieng aimed at your car and hitting the quarter sized sensor in your window (and they aim at the bumper). with the radar frequencies (k, x, ka) its a very wide beam and it bounces off other cars and stuff) so its much easier to detect.

laser is pointless to try to detect. they have laser jammers that fit around your license plate (where they supposedly aim) but those are illegal. if a laser hits your plate it jams it for 2-3 seconds and alerts you so you can slow down and hopefully be at the speed limit when it unjams in those few seconds.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:01 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Laser is hard to defend against.The laser jammers that are out there weren't illegal in the past but check your laws before you buy.
I read a report in a motorcycle magazine a few years ago about jammers of all kinds and the laser jammers did work.Radar jammers DID NOT WORK AT ALL,and are definately illegal in all fifty states.
If you have laser being used in your area you're just going to have to watch your speed.Radar on the other hand can be defeatedmost of the timeby using one of these,,,,
http://www.valentine1.com/

I have one and wouldn't use anything else.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:40 AM
redemption
3rd Gear Member

so dont buy one right
Old 01-12-2008, 04:26 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

well....your just never really safe if you do. you can go 6 moths speeding and start to think your god...then when you get popped (which you will) you'll feel cheated

imo, i don't bother

i speed where i know i can, stay w/ the faster traffic and keep in the middle of them

usually the lead or tail gets picked off by the cops
Old 01-13-2008, 11:42 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Chopper

Laser is hard to defend against.The laser jammers that are out there weren't illegal in the past but check your laws before you buy.
I read a report in a motorcycle magazine a few years ago about jammers of all kinds and the laser jammers did work.Radar jammers DID NOT WORK AT ALL,and are definately illegal in all fifty states.
If you have laser being used in your area you're just going to have to watch your speed.Radar on the other hand can be defeatedmost of the timeby using one of these,,,,

Why would they be illegal if they don't work? lol

Old 01-13-2008, 05:12 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GreyStang

ORIGINAL: Chopper

Why would they be illegal if they don't work? lol

Because they send out amicrowave signal and unless you have a license to transmit microwave signals you're in violation of FCC laws.
Laser isn't regulated (yet) so you can send out all the laserbeams you want.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:08 AM
Cryptostorm
2nd Gear Member

the laser really isn't a fine point like your thinking.... when your 1/4 mile down the road that pin point laser is about a 10 foot circle

Quick Reply: radar detector question