General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

emergency break problem(S)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 12:37 AM
Cryptostorm
2nd Gear Member

Default emergency break problem(S)

when i first got the car, the emergency break didn't really seem to work right... im not one to use the emergency break... but most cars ive been in and used it, it usually locks up the rear wheels with little effort...

well... when i pull the emergency handle all the way it will lightly slow me down at speed... but i have little trouble accelerating...

id like to know how i can get them to work correctly...

second of all

when the emergency break is used and then released.. they stay tight for quite a while before they finally work themselves loose again... as you can guess its not good on my drivetrain, gas milage, it heats the breaks up, not to mention giving my rims a nice dusting

i was having a problem with a caliper a while back, so its been replaced since then and its doing the same thing, so its not the caliper i wouldn't think...

the only thing i can think of is that the clutch cable is rusted, and needs replaced... just gonna confirm before i waste my time and money
Old 01-14-2008, 06:17 AM
corvetteguy
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: emergency break problem(S)

It sounds like the last owner backed off of the EB because
they were hanging up.
This means the cables must be checked. The EB
mechanism may be rusty.
Do you have rear calipers? If so you may be in for
a major overhaul of the rear brakes. If you have
drums, it is just a mater of taking one side apart
cleaning everything , maybe replacing a few
parts, and then readjusting the EB cable.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:18 AM
ewgoetz
3rd Gear Member

I would start off withgetting some PB penitrating oil and spray the EB cabling at the calipers and under the car where both cables meet to one. work the EB handle a few times in and out. Most likely there in rust in teh cabling binding it all up. Also inspent the cabling for damage. I have a 94 and I have noticed that there is some wear where the cabling goes Throuhgt a cable guide along the rear lower control arm.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:20 AM
onesickstang01
2nd Gear Member

mine does the same thing. but the e-brakes in mustangs arent actually e-brakes. they are considered parking brakes and wont exactly lock up like a honda or something else like it.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:05 AM
Cryptostorm
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: onesickstang01

mine does the same thing. but the e-brakes in mustangs arent actually e-brakes. they are considered parking brakes and wont exactly lock up like a honda or something else like it.
reason?
Old 01-14-2008, 11:40 AM
ewgoetz
3rd Gear Member

Probably cause the mustangs weight more than a honda.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:53 PM
Cryptostorm
2nd Gear Member

they dont weigh more then a stealth, and ive never had a problem locking them up in that
Old 01-14-2008, 09:47 PM
onesickstang01
2nd Gear Member

not sure y. ive had several mustangs and not a single one of them has been able to lock up. ford just designed them to be as a parking brake rather than a e-brake. most new cars are made that way because e-brakes are actually a danger if not used right they will spin your car out of control.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:13 PM
m260gt
2nd Gear Member

i actually had to use the e-brake a few weeks ago. i was going kind of fast on the interstate. then i wanted to slow down and i looked in front of me and the car was going slow waiting for me so i slammed on my brakes and they didnt really help much. i needed new tires bad. my car was feeling like it was about to spin out, but i kept control and pulled the e-brake. it saved me from an accident. now i have new tires so it stops good again. but scary story though
Old 01-24-2008, 11:46 AM
burnout2003

you probley just need a new e-brake cable, just leave it in first thats all i do when i happens. in the winter my lines freeze so my e-brake doesn't really work.

Quick Reply: emergency break problem(S)