General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Just got a 'Stang...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 07:47 PM
badsp0rk
2nd Gear Member

Default Just got a 'Stang...

I finally got my new car, upgrading from a Probe GT to an '02 Mustang GT and I absolutely love it. The previous owner put 3.73 gears and a k+n filter in the car already, and I plan on putting an exhaust system on the car and getting a tuner. However, I have a few questions for you guys:
1) Which exhaust system do you guys recommend? And I live in Connecticut, so we do have emissions (I can't just pop the cat. converter off, nor can I get off-road pipes or whatever)
2) Which upgrade would be a better idea to do first? Obviously I'm set back some money because I had to buy the new car, and upgrading is a dream until the summer time but it's surely fun to dream. Now, my odometer/speedometer is completely off from the gears, so I was thinking I ought to get the tuner before the exhaust? sound good?

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-27-2005, 07:48 PM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Just got a 'Stang...

How about a SLP system. You can do a x-pipe catted. And I would get the tuner before the exhaust. Or you can get them both at the same time.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:50 PM
Acer2428
Site Mod

Well, if it's a manual I really don't think a tuner is a good idea to begin with. Pretty much all it's going to do is add more timing and give you a few ponies.

For exhaust, since you have emissions, I like the catted mac H-pipe, with an SLP catback. Look around int he pipes, boost, and huice section, you'll see/hear lots of different combos.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:51 PM
badsp0rk
2nd Gear Member

Is SLP... loud? My Probe had a flowmaster exhaust with a big hole in it, so it was loud as hell... I kinda didn't like it THAT loud. I was looking at the Steeda exhaust, heard it wasn't quite as loud as the others but still had significant performance gains.
Of course, it's also a lot more expensive which means waiting longer to upgrade.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:54 PM
badsp0rk
2nd Gear Member

It is a manual; would you say it's a better idea to just get the speedometer/odometer fixer dongle-thingy put out by Ford Racing? It's siginificantly cheaper, and the biggest reason I'd get a tuner is for that (except the tuner says it does a ton of other things too, like HP and MPG, plus the live statistic thing looks interesting)

By the way, where do you recommend buying Mustang stuff from?
Old 03-27-2005, 08:11 PM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: badsp0rk

Is SLP... loud? My Probe had a flowmaster exhaust with a big hole in it, so it was loud as hell... I kinda didn't like it THAT loud. I was looking at the Steeda exhaust, heard it wasn't quite as loud as the others but still had significant performance gains.
Of course, it's also a lot more expensive which means waiting longer to upgrade.
LOUD! IS IT LOUD? of course its loud. The louder the faster. Didn't you know that.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:25 PM
badsp0rk
2nd Gear Member

I guess [sm=smiley3.gif]

I think I'm just going to get the steeda or something; it's everything I need + stainless steel. Thanks for the input tho!
Old 03-27-2005, 10:44 PM
Acer2428
Site Mod

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

The steeda is like $600. Magnaflow is also SS and is only like $350. So are the SLPII's.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:50 PM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

The SLP I's are the best. Forget about the II's.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:53 PM
badsp0rk
2nd Gear Member

http://www.mustangtuning.com/stgtststcaex.html <- steeda's 550 plus s+h

http://www.mustangtuning.com/maca94gt.html <- 450, free shipping...

http://www.lmperformance.com/5587/50.html <- 350, but does that come w/ muffler and everything? or can I use the stock or something?

are there any performance differences / noise differences between the steeda and magnaflow? I do like the lifetime warranty w/ magnaflow...

Stainless steel = key for me, because of that probe gt's flowmaster exhaust; the tips were either chrome or steel and they are perfect to this day (7 years after the install?) but there's a huge rotten hole in the muffler to go along with the rings that hold the system in place rotting off and the cat. converter rotting away as well; the whole thing is falling apart completely and needs a full replacement. I actually bought the mustang because I simply did not want to put any more money into a 12 year old car with 88,000 miles on it (with plenty of other problems too, like burning oil and the sunroof motor slowly dying.. lack of snow tires... etc.. etc..).

Although, I do have to say for anyone who cares, the Probe GT was a fun car to drive with a little bit of pep every now and then. Not power like the Mustang, but pep. Good beater cars for winter driving (as long as you have snow tires + 5 speed), too.

Quick Reply: Just got a 'Stang...