General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

wheel spacers???

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 05:42 AM
kwikstang
1st Gear Member

Default wheel spacers???

I recently sold my lowering springs and have the car back to stock off-road height. I just put in some 1 1/4 inch wheel spacers in the back. Now the back end on both sides are sitting about an inch lower. I took the spacers off and the height is the same all around so I put them back on and I'm still sitting an inch lower out back. Seriously guys, help.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:16 AM
I G Joe
5th Gear Member

Default RE: wheel spacers???

wheel spacers like to push your wheels out further?
Old 03-29-2005, 06:24 AM
Pacman
2nd Gear Member

wo, thats weird i just posted a question about wheel spacers in the same 30 second time frame that you did so now theres 2 threads on it,lol

Yea you got me, i dont see how wheel spacers could make your car any lower???? Want to sell your wheel spacers?
Old 03-29-2005, 11:38 AM
closer9
2nd Gear Member

Where/how are you measuring?
Old 03-29-2005, 06:06 PM
kwikstang
1st Gear Member

i'm measuring from the top of the tire to the lip of the fenderwell. it's not scientific or anything. i just measured in the same place for all four tires.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:59 PM
pipeliner
1st Gear Member

you need to measue on a flat piece of pavement from the ground to your fenderlip. Your front if i remember correctly will sit a tad higher. Not a inch thou.

Also if you fronts are inside the fender lip and the rears are a little further out your going to get wierd numbers. Like I said measure from the ground up then tell us the differnce. I bet your just measure on a angle to get a inch off.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:08 PM
GIGM08GT
2nd Gear Member

what ones did you get and how much>?
Old 03-30-2005, 04:33 AM
kwikstang
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pipeliner

you need to measue on a flat piece of pavement from the ground to your fenderlip. Your front if i remember correctly will sit a tad higher. Not a inch thou.

Also if you fronts are inside the fender lip and the rears are a little further out your going to get wierd numbers. Like I said measure from the ground up then tell us the differnce. I bet your just measure on a angle to get a inch off.
yes, that's true. i've measured it multiple times on flat surfaces. like i said. i measured with them on and off. measurements are only off with the spacers on. when i took them off, the height is all the same. also, i'm not measuring from an angle. i'm measuring straight up and down from the fenderwell to the top of the tire. maybe i'll have some pics up soon.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:11 PM
pipeliner
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kwikstang

ORIGINAL: pipeliner

yes, that's true. i've measured it multiple times on flat surfaces. like i said. i measured with them on and off. measurements are only off with the spacers on. when i took them off, the height is all the same. also, i'm not measuring from an angle. i'm measuring straight up and down from the fenderwell to the top of the tire. maybe i'll have some pics up soon.

I understand that but give the measurements from the ground to the fenderlip, not the tire to the fenderlip. There are to many varibles to include in a tire to fenderlip measure.

measure all 4 corners. I cant help unless you give me all 4 corners. Also need to know which rear tire is closer to the inside of the fender left to right. IE which one looks like it is sticking out more. Also need to know if theres a panhardbar and subframe connectors on there.

One more thing did you drive the car after changing the tires and noticing the height changes. If you jacked the car up you have unsettled your suspension so you need to drive around the block before taking measurements.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:43 PM
Djs94stang
3rd Gear Member

Do you have IRS? If so, then I can understand it. You are effectively increasing the moment arm to the spring location so that the load on the spring is higher. I don't understand how this would be if you have a solid axle.

Quick Reply: wheel spacers???