General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Leaky Convertable Top

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 06:08 PM
dave_jeff

Default Leaky Convertable Top

Ive noticed a leak just big enough to cause a trickle in the area of the lower driver's side rear window. I cant find a "hole" per-se, but Ive got a really good idea where its coming from. Does anyone know if there is a silcon spray or some type of "goo" i can put around the window that could fix this leak?

Dave
Old 03-31-2005, 09:25 AM
snlpa
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Leaky Convertable Top

Musty interior...or...hard top.......tuff decision[sm=badidea.gif]
Old 03-31-2005, 09:50 AM
dave_jeff

Well seeing as Ive already made the "tuff" decision of musty interior, you’re comment isn’t really relevant. But thanks for your concern!
Old 03-31-2005, 12:09 PM
snlpa
2nd Gear Member

Just joking dave_jeff......There is quite a few vert peeps here maybe they can help you. Good Luck!!
Old 03-31-2005, 03:35 PM
Gaspi101
3rd Gear Member

Unless the problem is with the rubber seams on either the top or the window frame, you have the option of sealing it with silicone (be careful to not get it on the top canvas). It could also be an alignment problem. Does the top latches link easily, or do you have to push more on one side than the other? If so, you may have to realign them. Worst case scenario is replacing the top, about $600 for parts and labor. Could you be more specific about the leak?

Gaspi
Old 03-31-2005, 05:10 PM
dave_jeff

It looks like the top has just separated from the window, but Im not 100% sure that this is the source of the leak. The best I can describe it is a "pinhole" line coming from the corner off the corner of the window. When I was poking around trying to find the source, I was able to easily pull back the canvas from the window. Thats the only thing making me want to call this the leak. And its in an area central enough for water to get both in the trunk and the din for the top. I dont believe the top is out of alignment. Neither side is any harder than the other to fasten down. I know I dont sound like the smartest guy with discribing this problem, but Im new to owning a vert, and I was pretty much hoping someone else has had the same problem and could point me in the right direction with trouble shooting it.

Thanks
David
Old 03-31-2005, 06:35 PM
YinYangStang
2nd Gear Member

if you're new to owning a vert, the only thing I can ask is the obvious...are you sure you put the top up, and latched it, then put the windows up? Having the windows up while the top is being put up will cause leaks...not sure if this helps
Old 03-31-2005, 07:23 PM
Gaspi101
3rd Gear Member

Actually, now with your description, we've narrowed the problem a bit more. YinYangStang is right about needing to crack th windows down a bit before putting the top up to prevent leaks. Again, misalignment that occurs with time. However, this is not your case. When you said window, I thought you ment the driver and passenger windows, or the small rear ones. But you are obviously having trouble with the rear glass (in some models plastic) window, which actually tends to leak when the top has been improperly cared for. The glass windows in almost all model tops acually are fastened by metallic threads from the base of the top, and then sealed to the canvas with a rubber polymer tack to keep the elements out. I'm afraid you have only three solutions: 1. run a weather-proofing compound, like a nautical sealant along the seams of the canvas and window (you'll actually have to lift the small outlining covering of canvas to do it, being careful to not tear), and let dry--you should do this on both the inside and outside of the top. 2. Take it to a bodyshop, and ask them to do it (as they, believe it or not, have the equipment to properly seal the window back onto the canvas), or 3. Buy a new top. Mustang tops, unfortunately were not built to last as long as the actual car was, so if you don't garage your car from birth, you'll have to change your top once every 5 years or so. The leaking problem is indicative of bad maintenance and poor craftmanship--your only permanent solution is to get a new top, and put a water-PROOF car cover on when you leave it in the rain. I know it's a pain in the ***, but from one vert owner to another, I'm sure you know it's all well worth it. Let us know what happened!

Gaspi
Old 03-31-2005, 09:13 PM
dave_jeff

I am new to owning a vert, but I have borrowed my parents many times and know the deal with rolling the windows up after the top has been put back up. But I can see how that can cause an alignment problem. Unfortunetly I do not have a garage to keep the car in, and being that its a 99 and I dont know how well its been taken care of, I think replacing the top is the best/only option. Thanks for the help yall.

Nice ride YinYang!
Old 04-01-2005, 12:20 PM
YinYangStang
2nd Gear Member

thanks dave, sorry I couldn't help...
If you replace the top, see if you can get a cloth instead of canvas. My mom just got a convertible (pt cruiser) and it's got cloth on top of canvas, and it look and feels so much better...I dunno about lasting though, but I don't think it will fade like a canvas one.

Quick Reply: Leaky Convertable Top