General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

tuning my gt

Old 02-14-2008, 04:27 PM
TEXASGT/CS
3rd Gear Member

Default tuning my gt

Ok I hope that I dont get slamed here butI have been bouncing around the forums and have heard alot of people talking abouttuning there stangs, 87 - 89 tune and so on. My first question is this just a type of boost or is it an actuall add on? I have had my GT for about a year and am now intrested it getting a little more horespower. also how does this effect your gas mileage.I am getting about 20 mpg and am very pleased with that.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:55 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Default RE: tuning my gt

It will affect your gas mileage. Depends a lot on what your tuner does in the custom tune and your driving style, mods. A tune won't help you as much as s197 auto trans owners. Shift points are the main improvement in the auto. Basically a tune is needed to correct the a/f ratio of the added cai. Are you getting a tuner and intake combo? this would be the best bet for a decent amount of cash. Brenspeed, vmp, and bama are all good tuners, very common. With a custom tune and good cai you should see a 15-20 rwhp and tq gain depending on a higher octane. Tunes are good for timing and octane changes, which add power. Pick the higher octanes available by you.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:12 AM
alex00GT
1st Gear Member

what can i do to my transmission to make it faster i want to change to 5 speed but they say it to much and not worth it.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:18 AM
TEXASGT/CS
3rd Gear Member

thanks, so are you saying tuning is more for automatics? Itcame with a CDC Shaker intake on it from the dealer. not sure how it rates with alot of the other intakes on the market.I am very new to fast cars and modifing them. Ii am a 40 something family guy (going thru my midlife crisis my wife says) and this is my first real "hot Rod" ,I have always been a off road guy.

[IMG]local://upfiles/87649/C8A5300C629C442280AF47ABEECB8B03.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-15-2008, 09:06 AM
brad281
4th Gear Member

The cdc shaker isn't a cold air intake, it's cosmetic. You could always get the custom tuned tuner. They make most of the gains of the combo with an intake anyway. You could probably see a 10-15 rwhp gain on 93 octane tune. Lets say you keep the shaker and forget about adding a cai. $379 for the tuner with three tunes. Yes, tuning is best suited for autos. Gets rid of the throttle lag and firms shift points, changes shift points. Brenspeed , vmp tuning, and bama are all great choices. If your looking to pick up the tuner, I'd go with Brenspeed. One custom tune for your vehicle, mods, based on three octane levels. If you're satisfied with what you have, you might want to stick with it. The majority of the people who get the tuner do to add on an intake. Most with auto trans also.

I wouldn't say a mid-life crisis. You got a great car and you didn't go crazy buying some overpriced import or 2 seater. Wives just don't understand a man and his car. Are those flows too quiet for ya?
Old 02-15-2008, 09:14 AM
TEXASGT/CS
3rd Gear Member

thanks, that helps alot, is there any real benefit with a manual then? If not I will probably leave it alone.
As for the Shaker intake the dealer actually told me it was a functioning cold air intake. it even as ducting going into the back of it that says cold air. Did i get hosed?
Old 02-15-2008, 09:20 AM
brad281
4th Gear Member

There are benefits. The tune changes timing, may possibly get a little better mpg. If you want to use a higher octane fuel, a tune would maximize the benefits and add power. It's up to you if it's worth 379 for est. 10-15 rwhp. And if you want to use a higher octane, the little aded costs in the long run. I'd say leave it as long as your not getting an intake added. The cdc isn't the same as a cold air intake. It looks good, but thats what its for.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:30 AM
TEXASGT/CS
3rd Gear Member

Thanks again, sounds like maybe, if i can get 10-15 more rwhp,I am currently running 87 octane gas in my car, ifI went with the Brenspeed does it come with 3 different tunes, and can you switch back and forth from one tune to another.
As for the flows, not to quiet, I like the throaty sound. and so do the nieghbors. lol
Old 02-15-2008, 09:31 AM
TEXASGT/CS
3rd Gear Member

Forgot to ask how the tuner works.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:41 AM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Yes Brenspeed comes with one tune based on three different octanes available near you. Obviously the most gains in power ould come from the highest octane tune. When switching out to different octanes it's best to make sure your out of the lower level gas and make sure you already started sipping your way through the higher oct. before you switch. Low octane in a higher oct tune=bad, high octane is a low level tune is ok. Perfectly fine to run 93 oct while running the 87 oct tune, but not the other way around. Brent would place the three tunes on the handheld tuner before he shipped to you. BTW, look to get some back up email formats of the tunes to save just in case. Installing the tune is fairly simple, theres tutorials and all kind of stuff in case you get stuck.
The tuner's main purpose is to just load the custom tune onto your vehicle. just plug in the obd port.Turn key to turn aux power on, but don't start vehicle and work your way through the option screen and tune. Tuner can also read check engine light codes and clear. And do some data logging, which most don't use. Imo, the tuner is way too expensive for what you get. Its the tune that makes the big difference. basically my tuner was just used one time just to load my tune from my email account onto my car. thats it. Sitting in my closet while I spent all that money.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: tuning my gt