General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

uh oh

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 01:53 PM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

Default uh oh

this morning coming to school, my roommate came up beside me and told me that my left rear tire/wheel had a wobble to it. well, my teacher and i put it on a lift and checked it out. MY F**KING AXLE IS BENT and the axle seal is GONE. so, now i have to buy a new axle, WHICH SUCKS, but, nonetheless, thats part of having a car

now, i plan on doing LOTS of engine work this summer, so, do you all think i should go ahead and upgrade the rear-end w/ 31-spline axle's and trak-lock, or, just get an oem quality axle and wait..........im leaning towards going ahead and doing it all, but, what do you all think ? thanks
Old 03-31-2005, 02:14 PM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

Default RE: uh oh

since you have to replace it anyways and you are looking to mod the car i would just go ahead and upgrade it
Old 03-31-2005, 02:40 PM
bmorrisj
3rd Gear Member

i got stock axles you can have if you pay shipping.... i did thie 5-lug conversion and my dad needs/wants me to get rid of all of the left overs...
Old 03-31-2005, 03:25 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

if your primary use of the car is for a daily driver with maybe some occasional trips to a dragstrip, then go with stock replacement axles for now. you can always come back later and upgrade the rear if you change your mind. I would take a good look at the differential bearings also if the axle was bent as they could be worn too.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:20 PM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bmorrisj

i got stock axles you can have if you pay shipping.... i did thie 5-lug conversion and my dad needs/wants me to get rid of all of the left overs...
appreciate it dude, but, i talked to my friend back home today after i found out, and hes got like 2 or 3 sets of stock axles in his chicken house(parts graveyard), so, gettin 'em is no problem, but, i think ima just go ahead and upgrade everything. Moser 31 spline axles, c-clip elim, 3.73's and i cant decide if i want just a 31-spline trak-lok or an auburn or detroit.....

and Roundman, how much hp are the stock axles/rearend good to ?? my teacher said an 8.8" is only good til @ 500hp.....what do you think ?
Old 03-31-2005, 09:27 PM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

It's not so much the HP they can handle, but the TORQUE.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:07 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

I think his opinion is a little too liberal IMO. If you are going to make serious HP and torque, then I would at least upgrade the axles if not the entire rear end. The mulitplication of torque through the gears can really increase the torque on the axles, and if you run a low rear gear along with slicks and hook up good, then you can easily break a stock axle. See this month's MM&FF mag about what the writer who runs the NHRA stock Mustang did to his 8.8 rear end. and he ain't running close to 500 HP either.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:43 PM
babygurl2000
I ♥ Acer

hey how did this workout for ya ? can we get an update?