General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 03:07 PM
barnbabe09

Default Help!

Okay, so I just turned 16 and I am looking for my first car! About a week ago through a friend of afriendI came across a $9,000 1999 white, convertible gt mustang with 35,000miled anda white top... i fell in love. So wetook the car for a test drive and heard a "whispy" sound, my dad thought that it might be the bearings and that they may need to be replaced, so we drove it over to the ford dealership and they thought it was probably the bearings too. We took the car back and thats when the owner told us that the car had been in a "fender bender" butshe saidit had been fixed andshe showed us the invoice and apparently it wasnt just a "fender bender" because it cost 10 grand. Anywaysshe saidshe would take the car to the ford dealership and get the bearingsfixed andalso getit thouroughly checked out.She took the car in a little over a week ago and it is still in the shop. The owner told us the whole rear end including the axle needed to be replaced (even though she said that she was hit on the front left side in her "fender bender") im not exactly sure what she meant when she said "the whole rear end"though. I was wondering that ifafter the car comes out of the shop and is all fixed if i took it to another mechanic and had him check it out thouroughly and itchecked out okay, do you think that it would be worth it? Is it risky buying a car that has had the axle replaced or is it no big deal? The ford dealership she took it togives warranty's on all of its work also. If i leftany important info out let me know. Any and all advice is welcome!!
Thanks
Sam
Old 03-02-2008, 04:22 PM
P.S.I.cho
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Help!

wrecked cars are risky to get into, if it wasnt a good repair, the car will always wear tires funny, it will do what they call "Dog walking", and there could be more problems down the road
Old 03-02-2008, 05:44 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

that car sounds like trouble.

frontend crash and the rear is bad??

id pass.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:14 PM
onesickstang01
2nd Gear Member

yea id find something else. right now theres tons of good deals out there. the price is pretty good for the low miles but find an old guy that bought a gt for his midlife crisis to buy from. mustangs are really nice cars but once the are all wrecked up they are almost never the same.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:27 AM
66blownmustang66
1st Gear Member

sounds like trouble man, if i was to pa that much money for something i would want it to be clean title and not have to worry about anything...
Old 03-03-2008, 07:27 AM
ExtrmZ
4th Gear Member

if i were you i would pass on this one... i bet there is another one just like it that you will find in a couple of months or so
Old 03-03-2008, 08:41 AM
ewgoetz
3rd Gear Member

But than again he just turned 16. I would try to Offer 6k or look up the tradein value in your area for it. Trade invalue in my area is between 5900 to 7250.Chances are he will have a few fender benders himself.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:56 AM
03GTVert
2nd Gear Member

I wouldn't do it. But if you're still thinking about it, I'd at LEAST run a carfax on it to make sure it was in ONE "fender bender".

A $10,000 wreck on a mustang is damn near totaled unless it happened when it was brand new.