General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

question about armor all

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 05:33 PM
jenzstang

Default question about armor all

is it true that using armor all products on a mustang's dash will make it crack???? i just bought some but my friend told me its not good for the car he suggested turtle wax........opinions???
Old 04-05-2005, 05:36 PM
5.0mustang5speed
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: question about armor all

i have never heard of such a thing
Old 04-05-2005, 05:43 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: jenzstang

is it true that using armor all products on a mustang's dash will make it crack???? i just bought some but my friend told me its not good for the car he suggested turtle wax........opinions???
This has been an urban legend that has floated around for years. The original myth states that Armor All will make ANY dash crack. I don't think it's ever been proven/disproven. I've used it for years (starting with '87 Nissan Sentra) and not a crack anywhere on the vinyl or dash.

I wonder if Mythbusters would be interested in this one?
Old 04-05-2005, 05:45 PM
5.0mustang5speed
I ♥ Acer

i would say that at one point some one used it on an old dash that was just about to crack and put it on and the next day it cracked..so that person from than on thinks that armour all craks dashes,,thats my theroy
Old 04-05-2005, 06:15 PM
birdman076
2nd Gear Member

I have heard that armor all does not allow the vinyl or leather to "breath" and that leads to stiffening and eventual cracking. Personally my problem with it is, it makes everything slick to the touch and it takes forever for that to go away. I use Lemon Pledge, it smells great, shines up leather, vinyl, plastic, even tires, and doesn't leave 1/2 as much slick residue. Learned that from some old timers at a car show a long time ago and have used it ever since. Also I have had armor all discolor aluminum rims on me as well so just another reason I don't like it.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:26 PM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

My husband used to use it on previous cars and we wouldn't use it on anything. Our dashes cracked too. I don't know what it is in the product but we won't use it.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:38 PM
MustangChica2001

That would be a good test for the Mythbusters!
Old 04-05-2005, 08:58 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

One of the biggest supposed no-no's with Armorall is the use of it on tires for tire shine. I have heard countless stories on how it somehow leads to the rubber dry rotting and cracking. Also leather is a definite no-no. After being sued countless times Armorall finally broke down and marketed a "leather" product and removed the leather line from their traditional Armorall products. Probably the lack of breathing by the materials in question definitely had something to do with leather and rubber failure. One other thing that they DO warm about and is a real shame if you don't read the directions carefully....DO NOT EVER USE ARMORALL ON "CLEAR" PLASTICS! This will immediately cloud the plastic and is usually perminent. Definite bad ju-ju if you do this. Use only products intended solely for use with clear materials. On clear plastics, actually a plastic polish is about the best to use overall. Cleans, removes scratches and leaves a protective coating. Better using a little more expensive product than Armorall that lets the materials breathe and keeps things soft to avoid unnecesary dry rot. Speaking of tires, the easiest and best product I have ever used is Stoner's "More Shine, Less Time." Takes no more than 15 to 20 seconds per tire and lasts longer than most other products. Easy spray-on and let dry product. Lots of new polymer chemistry products out there that are far superior to Armorall. Give them a try.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:56 PM
Mune
1st Gear Member

Now that you mention it I used to use armor all on my cavalier and then one day I got in and the dash was cracked. It wasn't even a year old and I had kept that car immaculant because it was my first new car. I had the dash replaced and never really used armor all again.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:06 AM
MustangChica2001

I accidently used armor all on some clear plastic when I had my tempo, and you are right it was perminate! Learned my lesson! And thanks for the tip about the tire cleaner because if there is one thing I can't stand is dirty brown or gray tires! [:'(]

Quick Reply: question about armor all