General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

4.6L Cobra Engine Problems...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 07:22 PM
Yul_97Cobra

Default 4.6L Cobra Engine Problems...

Good day Stangs lovers!!!

My baby is an 1997 Cobra convertible. (4.6L DOHC) ...Today was its first day out as it is always stored for the winter....

Problem # 1- the battery was dead...(as it always happens after not running the car for a long period of time), I therefore tried to charge it for approximately 18 hours. As soon as I removed the charger, battery was still dead!!! I had to boost my pony with my truck....Turn the key!!! and it statrted... Boy!!!! I loved the sound of that car....

I went for a spin, thinking that while I drive it, the alternator would kick in and recharge the battery....Suddenly here is problem #2....

All the lights in my dash were flashing, the car was doing back fires, the idle was going up and down like a roller coster.... as soon as I would stand still with the engine running...the idle would stanbilize itself, and all the lights in the dash wouls stop flashing. While standing still, I could rev the engine without any problems....As soon as I would try to drive it again....here it goes again with problems # 2.

For problem #1...I strongly bebelive that I will need to replace the battery.
For problem #2...I have no freak'n clue as to what causes this...

Q1 - Does anyone ever had these problems?
Q2 - Could the fact that the battery is dead, would cause problem #2 symptomes?
Q4 - Could it also be possible that problem 2 symptomes are caused by a faulty alternator (it was running fine at the time I stored my baby for the winter).
Q3 - Would anyone have a test that I could run to verify the battery and alternator?

Thanking you guys in advance for your inputs....it means a lot to me!!!

Jean
Old 04-10-2005, 07:25 PM
Djs94stang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 4.6L Cobra Engine Problems...

Replace the battery and go from there. You can't charge a dead battery. If a charger wouldn't do it the alternator certainley wouldn't. It sounds like your ECU went dumb due to loss of power. Put a new battery and run it...the computer should relearn it's previous engine control scenarios.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:03 AM
Aongus
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Yul_97Cobra

Good day Stangs lovers!!!

My baby is an 1997 Cobra convertible. (4.6L DOHC) ...Today was its first day out as it is always stored for the winter....

Problem # 1- the battery was dead...(as it always happens after not running the car for a long period of time), I therefore tried to charge it for approximately 18 hours. As soon as I removed the charger, battery was still dead!!! I had to boost my pony with my truck....Turn the key!!! and it statrted... Boy!!!! I loved the sound of that car....

I went for a spin, thinking that while I drive it, the alternator would kick in and recharge the battery....Suddenly here is problem #2....

All the lights in my dash were flashing, the car was doing back fires, the idle was going up and down like a roller coster.... as soon as I would stand still with the engine running...the idle would stanbilize itself, and all the lights in the dash wouls stop flashing. While standing still, I could rev the engine without any problems....As soon as I would try to drive it again....here it goes again with problems # 2.

For problem #1...I strongly bebelive that I will need to replace the battery.
For problem #2...I have no freak'n clue as to what causes this...

Q1 - Does anyone ever had these problems?
Q2 - Could the fact that the battery is dead, would cause problem #2 symptomes?
Q4 - Could it also be possible that problem 2 symptomes are caused by a faulty alternator (it was running fine at the time I stored my baby for the winter).
Q3 - Would anyone have a test that I could run to verify the battery and alternator?

Thanking you guys in advance for your inputs....it means a lot to me!!!

Jean
Your battery will no longer hold a charge (most likely). This is because one or more of the cells have lost there ability to hold a charge. The symptoms you describe are most likely related to the battery. Your car needs the battery to continue operation. The alt. is just there to keep the battery charged as its power is drained. Get a new battery. Next year when you store the car, take the battery out & keep a "battery tender" on it. A battery tender is basically a trickle charger that will kick in whenever the battery's charge falls below a certain point.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:06 AM
Aongus
1st Gear Member

By the way, you can test your battery with a volt meter to see what sort of charge it holds. Overall, I wouldn't worry about the alt. It is most likely the bat. If you install a new bat. & it seems to run out of juice fast or has a hard time starting your car after you have been driving, your alt. MIGHT be an issue.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:55 AM
Yul_97Cobra

Thanks for the tips...

have a great day!!

Jean
Old 04-11-2005, 12:06 PM
Yul_97Cobra

Thanks for your reply!!

Jean
Old 04-11-2005, 12:07 PM
Yul_97Cobra

Thanks...

Jean