General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How does running AC affect your car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 02:47 PM
Jarret

Default How does running AC affect your car?

Ok well this has been on my mind for quite some time and its killing me to ask. Im not so worried about gas mileage but im worried about will it hurt my engine running it everytime i drive? Summers getting here soon and i dont want to die inside my car . So does running it hurt the engine? And is it best to use the Max ac setting or regular ac setting? Why?

Thanks guys =)

-Jarret
Old 03-27-2008, 03:04 PM
tncruiser
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: How does running AC affect your car?

it wont hurt your car to run it
no air w/windows down may give you less mpg than using air
max air recirculates the air prbably the most effecient but not very much dif
Old 03-27-2008, 03:18 PM
indisposible_teens
4th Gear Member

When you run the a/c it leeches 14.6% of your hp and slows your car down considerably...[8D]

AC doesn't really hurt your car but it does leech quite a bit of power. I don't use mine, I just drive with the window's down. I like the feel of air across my face rather than cold recycled air.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:30 PM
Jarret

ORIGINAL: indisposible_teens

When you run the a/c it leeches 14.6% of your hp and slows your car down considerably...[8D]

AC doesn't really hurt your car but it does leech quite a bit of power. I don't use mine, I just drive with the window's down. I like the feel of air across my face rather than cold recycled air.
I agree but having an all black gt mustang makes it so damn hot lol. Damn leather Haha thanks guys, just a simple question needed answers
Old 03-27-2008, 03:48 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Don't race with the a/c on, and it may cause a mileage loss.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:13 PM
thepit56
1st Gear Member

the only way a/c might damage your car is if your stuck in traffic on a hot summer day and your engine starts to overheat. at that point you want to turn on the heat full blast and open the windows
Old 03-27-2008, 11:18 PM
golden_eye
3rd Gear Member

Unless you are in a gridlock in 100*+ heat and your car is in need of a radiator flush I wouldn't worry about overheating. It robs a bit of HP when it's on and I can feel my car become noticeably more sluggish, but it shouldn't hurt the engine in anyway unless something is wrong with the compressor.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:40 PM
ponyponer
2nd Gear Member

it doesn't even affect gas mileage as much as people think. i mean at least not in the more modern vehicles. it didn't affect it hardly at all in the 04 f350 6.0 diesel i had. maybe one mile less per gallon. i use it in my 93 5.0 all the time in the summer. the funny part is it still feels just as cool as it probably did when the car was rolled off the production line. as of last summer no leaks, or problems involving the ac system. it only puts a strain on while it's being used. a temporary strain. not a long term strain or deterioration of your motor or anything like that. if you use it on a steady highway going at one speed you wouldn't even know it was on at all performance wise. if i'm driving through city like conditions where there are a lot of lights, and stuff i don't turn it on. as soon as i get on the highway, and it's clear sailing, no traffic, it comes on.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:29 AM
MustangMan628
2nd Gear Member

I agree but having an all black gt mustang makes it so damn hot lol. Damn leather Haha thanks guys, just a simple question needed answers

[/quote]

I hear you there man. On top of that, I have an aluminum shift **** and it's right beneath the sunroof. You don't know hot until you are slapping gears on a 95 degree + day. I also have an A/C delete, and it really isn't that bad once you are cruising with the windows down. All last summer I worked heavy construction, so at the end of the day when the car had been sitting in the sun for 8 hours, it was not comfortable but I made it through. You just have to thing about all the good times and car shows, and not how hot your car actually is.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:20 AM
98BlackStang46

It wont hurt your car but it makes the power feel sluggish

Quick Reply: How does running AC affect your car?