General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

First trip down the strip!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 08:14 PM
BunnMan
1st Gear Member

Default First trip down the strip!!

Howdy Y'all,

Friday test and tune opens up this Friday night at my local strip. I've never run a legal quarter mile in my life. She's bone stock with the few tiny improvements in my sig. I'll be bolting on a blower and meth kit soon but want to get a few passes in so I can get a before/after comparison. What do I do with this thing? Launch RPM? Shift points? Or am I thinking too far into this for a stock motor?

Thanks for any help.

God bless,

-BunnMan
Old 04-01-2008, 08:13 AM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

Default RE: First trip down the strip!!

Launch will depend on your tires and your track. With good tires and glue on the track you can keep raising the rpm until it spins the back tires.
Without traction you will leave off idle and slowly roll into the throttle. Try the same again but roll into it faster. Keep on until it spins.

Once you found your launch limit, shift rpm will be about 4800-5200. Again, experiment and let the time slips decide what is best.

I also have a stocker with 3.73. With a 235 45 17 tire, I'm trapping in 4rth with my shift light on. I'm pretty confident leaving it in 4rth and leaving it rev is faster than a shift into 5th.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:32 PM
BunnMan
1st Gear Member

'Perciate the reply. That's in line with what I figured so far. I have a less than legal strip near the house I hit when I take folks for a ride but have never launched her on it yet. I always get it rolling in 1st then romp it. In that respect the launch is still a big mystery. I am told Capitol (my local) is pretty sticky out of the hole so I reckon I can lay on it fair hard for the launch. I'm a little apprehensive about laying too hard because she doesn't have any frame bracing yet, just a stock uni-body. I may be to worried about nothing but I don't want to launch to hard and twist her up at all...I love this car and would rather err on the side of caution. As far as shift points, it feels strongest shifting around 4800-5000. Granted no time slips yet to confirm, just seat of the pants jolt when Ijam the gas and let the clutch flyin the next gear.

Thanks and God Bless,

-BunnMan
Old 04-01-2008, 07:03 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

In all reality, you're not going to go as fast as you think you should. If you've never been to a strip before, expect to run slower than the car can go. It'll take practice to get the launch down, the individual car, the track, the weather, all play a role.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:29 PM
BlackxSVO

100% agreed with 67mustang302
Old 04-02-2008, 07:09 PM
CHILLERMAN
1st Gear Member

Keep working on your launch and shift points. You will have plenty of fun doing so. The time slips will tell you what's going on. Are you just running street tires? If so, then don't expect your 60' to be any better than a 2.10 or so.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:51 PM
my little red 90
2nd Gear Member

i have a 90 LX 5 spd. 5.0 with some very hard 245/45R17's, 3.73's anda good road course suspension, and a few bolt-ons. getting the launchrightis harder than it looks. my 60 times go from 1.966 to 2.912. i have to leave right off idle or it just spins.
one more thing. if you have street tires, drive around the water.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:52 PM
BunnMan
1st Gear Member

In response to '67 and BlackxSVO...My expectations are reasonable. I don't expect to light the place on fire when I pull on to the parking lot. I'm not stranger to the racetrack, just the straight track. If i can break 14 I'll be more than happy.

Chiller...Yes, running street tires.

I appreciate all the input fellas, no doubt. I wasn't fishing for advice on how to best demonstrate humility but how best to turn in a decent time slip. I figured at least a few of your have had a trip down a strip with a stock or near stock fox that could tell me a thing or two about how to get it done...

Thanks and God bless,

-BunnMan
Old 04-02-2008, 08:55 PM
BunnMan
1st Gear Member

little red 90,

Thanks...that's good info.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:37 PM
BunnMan
1st Gear Member

Gota few runs in this past Friday...my apologies to all. I could not believe how slick the trackwas compared to the street. First launch was good, right off idle...thanks lil red 90. After the launch I missed second, corrected, then spun like nuts once I got back on the gas. Ran a 15.1[:@]! But still managed to beat the late model Z28 they lined me up with.

Next pass was even worse if you could imagine.I was thinking all about getting second right as I watched the tree fall, spun the crap outta first, caughtsecond but spun that silly too, scored a 15.6 [:'(]and lost to a freakin' Civic Si by this much -->ll<-- !!!

I left the track pretty frustrated with myself and got into it about every time a car wasn't in front of me at a light - no spinning like I had at the track. First will spin hard if I dump it but second ALWAYS hooks on the street, I don't get it. I think I'll need tires to go with my new blower!

God bless,

-BunnMan