General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Starting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 12:58 AM
Elic

Default Starting Issue

Hey im new to the boards but I have a question. I have a 2000 mustang v6 and for the past couple months it takes the engine about 4-5 seconds to start after it sits for a while and 5-8 for the first time each day. But if its only been siting for 2 or less hours since last time i drove it, it starts up like a champ. I have changed battery, spark plugs, fuel filter, ran fuel injection cleaners and seafoamed my engine. I also tested the resistance on plug wires and it was fine for stock wires. Now if i cycle the key 3 or 4 times to build pressure start time goes down a second or 2 and starts a little better but still not right away. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nick
Old 04-03-2008, 06:26 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Starting Issue

Sounds like a fuel pressure problem. You changed the fuel filter,, was the old one pretty dirty?
Old 04-03-2008, 08:28 AM
Elic

yeh it was pretty hard to blow through. do you think its my fuel pump?
Old 04-03-2008, 12:56 PM
camaro_burns_all
1st Gear Member

Your fuel pump could be bad. If it is the fuel pressure, then you have a leak somewhere in the vaccum lines. Make sure the lines are not disconnected, or broken, or cracked.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:01 PM
1.9.9.4 pony
1st Gear Member

yea check your fuel pump it might be bad from the fuel filter being dirty letting pass the bad stuff if not then just in case check your selenoid
Old 04-03-2008, 03:15 PM
Elic

ok well any suggestion on how to test fuel pump? i dont think its a solenoid cause i have no check engine light but i could be wrong. also im not sure if this could be the problem but when i accelerate and i get to about 5k+rpms my battery light comes on and lights dim. now i know this is most likely the alternator but i assumed this was unrelated to starting issue but wanna make sure. i voltaged tested my battery and its a hair over 12.5v so its fine.

nick
Old 04-03-2008, 03:28 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

When you're voltage testing the battery you have to put a load on it. WIth the engine off turn the headlights ON and then check the voltage.

Old 04-03-2008, 03:43 PM
Elic

ok just tested it with headlights and radio on and it reads abou 11.92v is that ok?
Old 04-04-2008, 01:03 AM
Elic

still need some advice on this guys... and grey my fuel filter was pretty clogged... what would that cause?
Old 04-04-2008, 01:14 AM
MustangMan628
2nd Gear Member

If your car is a 2000, then most likely, your battery is on it's way out. under 12 volts will not crank your car to full potential. You want about 12.75 at least to start and around 14 +/- when charging from the alternator when the car is running. I would replace the battery, then check voltage again. Check battery ign off no load. Battery headlights radio on (load) and check car running battery charging. Throw us some numbers out after that. I have a feeling your car will crank right over.

Quick Reply: Starting Issue