General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

steering/wheel sounds? help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 01:08 PM
jim135666
1st Gear Member

Default steering/wheel sounds? help.

Like a similar post before, i have a wheel problem or somehting and i cannot figure it out.

I noticed it awhile ago but now its noticeably loud and the rear started. I will start with the front. When im driving straight, i get this annoying cherping sound, not really like stepping on hardwood floors like some say, its more like a annoying shopping carts tires that squeal and squeek. Or when you like move the handle on the shopping cart around and get that sound. Thats what i hear every 2 seconds or so. The weird thing is that it doesnt happen when im on the brakes and happens when im driving straight but not turning. Lateltly it has occured when i turn. It sounds alot like a shopping cart or a low tones parakeit. No car should sound like this, none the less a mustang. Then a day or so ago, my rear acted up. Whenever i turn my right rear tire i believe it is, it starts making a squeeking sound as well. I cant describe that sound as well because i cant hear it for long but its more like a truck turning i would say? but they both sound similar. The front and back.

I CANT FIGURE OUT WHAT IT IS. A friend told me it maybe my brakes going and its the sound that there fading. I know when its wet my brakes squeek like a damn bus but sometimes it happens in the day and i know my braking on a dime is questionable lately. Im real confused on this sound. My first guess was the bearings were possibly going but im not sure anymore. Help pleasee
Old 04-05-2008, 05:15 PM
jim135666
1st Gear Member

Default RE: steering/wheel sounds? help.

anyone?

i really am stumped on this. I looked at other posts and it really doesnt explain my problem. Everyone else's problem is when they turn and mine isnt. Cant figure out if its maybe the brake pad indicators or something. And i really dont want to bring it to a shop yet and drop all the money expecting its something small.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:26 PM
MustangMike2001
4th Gear Member

Jack the car up and spin the wheels. See if it makes the noise then and try to see where it comes from. May be the wheel bearings..
Old 04-05-2008, 11:24 PM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

Without looking back at previous posts, it could be a bad balljoint. I had a nasty squeak on the passenger side at any given time (turning, not turning, etc...) and took me a while to find the cause. Found a tear in the rubber boot and there was no grease in it. After replacing the balljoint (i did both sides) the squeek was gone. Check everything else first tho before you start replacing anything.

A squeaky bed is a good description.

All the bad wheel bearings ive come across just sounded dry when i spun the wheel by hand. Never had a squeeky one but i guess its possible. Is it a ryhthmic sqeak or constant?

When brakes are worn to the point where they squeak you can usually tell just by looking at the rotors for ridges. A bad pad can chew up the rotor pretty bad. Mine squeak a bit too in the morning and when it rains but it goes away by the time i make my first stop.

As for the rear i want to say its the rear diff but im not the guy to ask about those. If you can, get a buddy to ride in the back and have them listen for any squeaks and where they think its coming from. Have them take note of what you were doing when it did it to.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:41 PM
jim135666
1st Gear Member

thanks man, a squeeky bed sounds alot like it. And its more of a rhythem to it. I can predict when its going to do it so i would say so. I may get a friend to look at the back, it could be possibly its the diff being i do stupid things when i first got the car. Any other suggestions