General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Chirping the tires hitting 2nd?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 07:28 PM
LinkTheWorld
1st Gear Member

Default Chirping the tires hitting 2nd?

ok my 03 mustang GT is an auto trans. It was stock when I bought it and didnt chirp the tires at WOT going from first to second gear. Then I put on the upgrades.... K&N cold air intake, pullys, 3.73 gears, control arms, 75mm t/b and plenum, coil on plug kit, aluminum driveshaft, and sct tuner.

After getting in professionally tuned of course I could tell it was a lot faster, but now when I am at WOT going from first to 2nd I am chirping the tires, do you think this is a problem with the tune? I am wondering if I took it back and had the shift points changed to shift into 2nd at a lower RPM if that would help? Oh I also just bought new wider tires the best ones they offered me, cost $900 for 4 tires, and I thought that would help but it didnt.

Is there part I can buy that would help? Or what would you suggest?
Old 04-11-2008, 07:54 PM
ndgoalie35
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Chirping the tires hitting 2nd?

I wouldn't re-adjust the tune. The chirping in second means that you are putting down more power. You could beef up the rear suspension a little bit if you don't want any chirping.A little chirping isn't a bad thing.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:05 PM
LinkTheWorld
1st Gear Member

What do you mean by beef up the suspension? What parts exactly do you mean?
Old 04-11-2008, 08:35 PM
midweststang
2nd Gear Member

I dont know about you, but chirping the tires while shifting, auto or manual, sounds bad ***, nothing wrong with the car, most people pay extra to get a shift kit installed, so keep it that way!!
Old 04-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

That is the nature of making more power. Most of the difference probably comes from the low rear gears. You are now switching into 2nd at a lower speed.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:43 PM
LinkTheWorld
1st Gear Member

Any other suggestions or comments?
Old 04-12-2008, 04:55 PM
bacon57
3rd Gear Member

Second gear scratches are badass in auto cars. I used to think they were with anything untill I discovered with my 4 banger I can get it to chirp them going into second.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:59 PM
guch1971

It is normal to get a chirp sound from the first to second shift. After getting power increases. Prob the tune had the shifts firmed up. Doing that actually puts less stress on the transfrom a slushy soft shift. ( less slippage ) It is a good sign you are putting more power to the ground .
Old 04-13-2008, 08:16 AM
Tha Boss
2nd Gear Member

Chirping the tires in second going to second is not a probelm at all. I know people who cherish this. It all comes from making more horsepower in lower gears. The 3.73 probably have a lot to do with it. If your tires are chirping your parts are doint what they are suppose to be doing.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:00 PM
sfi
3rd Gear Member

I had the same thing happen w/ those upgrades,same gear.My line pressures are maxed out, my tune is set/up to shift at 6400 rpm(WOT). welcome to a tad bit more power. you want to shift where your still making good power, lowering the rpm is not the answer and you may be losing max hp doing that. I have a sc now and I ususally spin thrue second gear aliitle until it catches up. Bu on the nice warm days when im hooking, you can hear the chirp a mile away.

Quick Reply: Chirping the tires hitting 2nd?