General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Service Engine Light*UPDATE* P0053

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 08:46 PM
jakecat22
2nd Gear Member

Default Service Engine Light*UPDATE* P0053

UPDATE: Had the code read and it is P0053.....Any ideas??

He said left front oxygen sensor. Because I put on a dual exhaust will ford still cover it under warranty?

So I am driving home from work today and my service engine soon light came on. I kinda freaked and pulled over, checked all my fluids, everything seemed fine. So I babied it home, but the light will not go off, so here are a couple of questions:

1. I don't think it can, but I just installed a dual exhaust not so long ago, could this have caused it? Doubtful, right?

2. Does this light come on when the car "thinks" it is due for a service? I know my wife's 07 fusion does, but it says that in the manual, ours doesn't. Plus, I just changed my oil and filter 600 miles ago.

3. Will driving it really hurt it? I have to work tomorrow, and really need my car to get there, and the dealership isn't open till monday, will it be ok to drive?

I am just really paraniod, the car is still under warranty, but I don't want them to say because I drove it longer, I caused more damage.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:55 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Service Engine Light

unless its running poorly it should be safe to drive, the exhaust shouldnt cause the light if you didnt remove the o2s, and no the light wont come on for oil changes. you should be fine untill monday
Old 04-26-2008, 08:55 PM
mestit3
2nd Gear Member

its probably something dumb. just go to autozone and they will check it for free. you said you just installed dual exhaust, is that including t he x pipe in your sig? because that could def do it.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:57 PM
jakecat22
2nd Gear Member

The car seems like it is running fine. Nothing felt different. I did put in an x-pipe, after the cats, and I believe the o2's are before the cats, that's why I didn't think that could be the problem.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:42 PM
ScreaminS281
1st Gear Member

I've been driving my Saleen with the engine light on for over a month. I finally took it in yesterday and its a faulty charcoal canister (emisions control crap.)Its a special order part so I'm still driving with the light on. Anyway as long as its not running poorly and you have good oil pressure and not over heating you should be fine to drive it until you can get it in for service.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:04 PM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

Jake, if you have an 05, you also have O2s after the cat. I am thinking a code P0420 which will be a cam sensor. As to your Q's 1) no,it could have,2) no,,3) not likely but a possibility. Go somewhere and read your codes, then we will have something to work with. 420 is common to these Fords and an easy fix but, if it's warrenty, I'd let the dealer do it.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:07 PM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

Screamin...if you have a charcoal can issue, I don't think that would be the end of it. There must be something dumping all that fuel in there...something to think about.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:45 PM
jakecat22
2nd Gear Member

quick bump for my update
Old 04-27-2008, 07:09 PM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

Well, it's possible that it burnt out. Or maybe you inadvertantly unplugged it when doing the exhaust.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:52 PM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

Just looked that up but, I don't show a code below 100. If it is P0153 then, it means the sensor is slow to respond. Usually meaning it has served its purpose but, has worn out.

Quick Reply: Service Engine Light*UPDATE* P0053