General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

A/C Not Working!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 09:10 PM
rwdfan
2nd Gear Member

Default A/C Not Working!

Ok, so I thought the a/c just needed to be recharged. The a/c was discharged about 6 monthsago for an engine swap but was never refilled. So, yesterday, I fill it up. Still does not work. Grrr... What kind of troubleshooting should I try? It has the proper amount of R134A in it.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:16 PM
02TorchRedGT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: A/C Not Working!

I beleave if you open the line (let air get into them) then you have to go to a shop the get the to vaccumm the lines and recharge. reason for this is that the air that gets into the system has moisture in it and once you charge your system this moisture will turn to ice pellets and basically ruin the compressor.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:27 PM
rwdfan
2nd Gear Member

Can anyone substantiate this? Have I possibly ruined my compressor now? Crap. Is there anything I can do?
Old 04-30-2008, 12:14 AM
MustangMan628
2nd Gear Member

Did you actually charge it on a shop machine to monitor the refrigerant level, or did you just use the 40 dollar Wal*Mart bottle of recharge? Also, how did you take the reading that you have the "proper amount of r134A in it?
Old 04-30-2008, 12:54 AM
Doommaker
2nd Gear Member

My dad works in HVAC and yes yes yes you must vacuum the lines or you're screwed. He leaves his vacuum on a system for a couple of hours for a house's AC.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:00 AM
Ehmark
3rd Gear Member

Want to buy my spare a/c compressor ?
Old 04-30-2008, 09:30 AM
rwdfan
2nd Gear Member

Yeah. Sounds Like I am screwed. I went to Kragens auto parts and bought one of those bottles with the gauge on it... Crud. And yeah, I might want to buy your spare a/c compressor. They sure do not tell you that on the bottle. Maybe I should sue them...lol. My own ignorance.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:25 AM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

Well, I don't think that you ruined your compressor as it hasn't been working. You DO however need to have the system "evacuated". I use a compressor that I pulled from an old fridge. You want to empty the lines and check for leaks by putting the system in a vacuum. I let it run for about 30 minutes. Then let it sit and monitor it to see if it holds a vacuum for another 30. If this isn't done, you can't get it full. As for the water , I thought that is what the drier was for.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:55 PM
Doommaker
2nd Gear Member

I wouldn't lose all hope yet, you might be able to get it running again...Just keep working on it.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:27 PM
rwdfan
2nd Gear Member

Well, I do not have access to a compressor. Or any type of vacuum that would be capable of hooking up to an ac line. Plus, venting r134-a into the atmosphere is illegal and dangerous. I made an appointment to a local shop here. Oh well.

Quick Reply: A/C Not Working!