General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I don't know anything. Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 10:40 PM
youtalkndame

Default I don't know anything. Please help.

I have a 1983 conv. GLX. I am only 19 and this is my first car. My grandfather left it to me when he passed. I don't know anything about cars so I was hoping you guys could help me out. Here are some problems I would like to get a diagnosis to and an estimate for cost of repairs.

1: There are two small (half inch) tears in the soft top. How do I get this fixed? And will it cost me an arm and a leg?

2: The boot was stolen along with one of the hubs. How much to replace the boot and either replace the hub or get a whole new set. I want the car to be as orig. as possible. And where would I go or who would I contact to get these parts?

3: It seems to "hesitate" and "surge" mostly only when you first start it up when it has been sitting for a while. Sometimes this even results in the car dying. It will always start back up again. It has never broken down or left me stranded. It is just annoiyng for now.

4: It squeals when it is rainy or when I put the defroster on.

5: I smell a little oil when I start it or let it idle. (Just a hint of a smell)

If you need to know more about the car to figure out what is wrong here you go. It has only 53k orig miles on it. At least %95 all orig. parts. This past winter is the first winter it has ever been driven. No rust. Regular oil changes. Like I said I don't really know what I am talking about so if you need to know anything else just ask. I am sure I probably forgot something. Thanks for reading.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:55 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Default RE: I don't know anything. Please help.

Carbureted? As far as the hesitation it may just need a tune up, cap/rotor/wires/fuel filter etc etc. Fuel system cleaner couldn't hurt, and the carb might need to be tuned/rebuilt.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:27 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: I don't know anything. Please help.

Take the car to an upholstry shop & have them fix the convertible top rips. They can probably fix it permanently pretty cheap depending on how "invisible" you want the repair.. is the rest of the top in pretty good shape?

Go to a wreaking yard for a replacement hubcap you might get lucky finding one the same as on the rest of the wheels. If not, maybe they'll have other sets-of-4 hubcaps that are factorycorrect for Mustangs.

Get the car tuned up! New plugs & filters will probably help the engine problems.

Not sure what you mean by the car squealing(?) Do you mean all the time like a belt is slipping?