General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Shifting becoming a concern

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 09:40 PM
94gtbuilder
2nd Gear Member

Default Shifting becoming a concern

I am having an incredibly difficult time shifting as of late in my stang. I read a few similar posts about the situation and have come to a few conclusions as to what the problem may be. The guy who had it before me put a high friction clutch in it, and i believe it's warped the quadrant or something, and has the clutch all out of adjustment. Does this seem plausible? If so, steeda makes this clutch adjuster kit (http://www.steeda.com/products/clutch_adjuster_kits.php). Would this solve my problem? I'm pretty sure the shifter is stock as well as the cable and my car has almost 200,000 miles. I also read something about a TO bearing which I'm not familiar with. I really dont want to destroy my transmission. I plan on getting a tri-ax soon, would that have a new TO bearing? I really dont know much about transmissions. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:37 AM
P.S.I.cho
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Shifting becoming a concern

what exactly is it doing, is the clutch feeling stiffer, is it grabbing at a different pedal height or is it grinding while you try to shift? at 200k miles if the transmission hasnt been rebuilt yet this would the that mark where the synchros inside the trans are starting to go out, if this is the case it will grind while shifting gears, and if this is happening best to get it rebuilt ASAP and save money the longer u wait the more expensive the rebuild will be as more parts will fail with metal debris in the transmission
Old 05-06-2008, 12:49 AM
94gtbuilder
2nd Gear Member

I kinda doubt it's the original tranny but i dont know. All i know is it's really hard to shift into gear. I dont seem to be having much trouble with the clutch itself, but I really dont know??? The car doesnt even have to be moving for this problem to occur. It even happens when I go from neutral to 1st. It just doesnt want to engage!
Old 05-06-2008, 11:48 AM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

Sounds like the clutch is not disengaging completely. So the disc is spinning and you are forcing your synchronizer to stop the disc. Hence the high resistance on your shifter.

Sometimes the same will occur if the pilot bearing/bushing is frozen to the input shaft.

Can you upshift ok. Or will it easily slip into gear with the engine off?
Old 05-06-2008, 11:58 AM
94gtbuilder
2nd Gear Member

It seems to go into gear ok with the engine off. How difficult is it to change the syncros? or the pilot bearing?
Old 05-06-2008, 08:24 PM
94gtbuilder
2nd Gear Member

OK went out and checked it out a little bit this afternoon. The clutch is way out of alignment, soo it's not the sycros or a bearing most likely. Should I get the Steeda clutch kit (http://www.steeda.com/products/clutch_adjuster_kits.php) because I'll probably damage the quadrant if it isnt already serevely damaged sooner or later. Does anyone know of anything cheaper maybe that will be of good quality?
Old 05-07-2008, 12:06 PM
P.S.I.cho
4th Gear Member

usually if these clutches are out of aligntment the quadrent has failed since the stock one is plastic, you may not need the entire adjustable clutch kit but i really like my adjustable cable, but if you dont want to spend the money try getting a new quadrent
Old 05-07-2008, 01:05 PM
94gtbuilder
2nd Gear Member

I think I'll just get the entire kit. The guy before me probably never changed it soo it probably wouldnt hurt to get a new clutch cable and the firewall adjuster is just conveinent in my opinion, and really only like 15 bucks compared to if u buy everything seperate.