General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

car heating up too quick

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 05:28 PM
wiljersey
1st Gear Member

Default car heating up too quick

i have a 91 gt 5.0 i cantake pics if i need too and post them. well i just bought the car. heres the deal i got the car for 800.00 and it didn't have a center concole, upper or lower intake or an alt. the car has a msd ignition kit, aluminum driveshaft, lowered 1.5", sub frame connectors, cobra r 03 rims, cd player, 3:73 gears, and new tires. i got the center console fromthe junkyard for 40.00 so now i have all the parts and puttin it together to get it running. plus my wife is kinda hot about all the money, but i just had to have the car especially for that price.i got the car together and it runs good all but the car isn't charging right.it is overheating rather quickly and can't figure it out. the electric fan is manually cut on and off. my question is with the battery not at full power could the fan not be running to the full potential. is this why its overheating. the thermostat looks to be good (its not froze uo or rusted) i really appreciate all the help
Old 05-19-2008, 07:44 PM
dh04 red gt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: car heating up too quick

since you bought the car and it was missing all those parts it probably was sitting for awhile. I would probably start by flushing the radiator and changing out the thermostat probably cost you around 20.00 dollars for everything. all this of course after replacing alternaor and battery since its not charging right. also probably good to do a compresion test and check to see if heads are warped or blown gasket. I had a thunderbird that overheated all the time. I drove it around with out fixing it causing to warp the heads. I was young then and had no money !! this could be the case with the mustang since it was sitting awhile and seams that they started using it for parts. but for 800.00 dollars still a good deal
Old 05-19-2008, 08:46 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

First fix the cooling system. Is there a draw on the system? 12v off, 15v load. If so start pulling fuses til the voltage drops. You have no idea what was removed/not reinstalled correctly. If not that, is the altenator/voltage regulator in proper order? In the "on" position the alt should recieve 12v. If all else fails, most auto places will run a charging system check for free, just drive it down there. As for the cooling, if theres no smoke or anything, my best guess is air in the system. Did you burp the system? If not do so. The fans only work at low speeds/idle and if your overheating runnin down the road, fans arnt your problem. Make sure the thermostat is installed the correct direction as well.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:51 PM
wiljersey
1st Gear Member

thanks alot guys. i burped the system this morning and broke down and bought a 130 amp alt off a 95 mustang gt from the parts store (167.78 ouch). didn't see any big air bubbles come out but the coolant was rising and falling about 3 to 4 inches through the process. the car was apart for three months but the rr's and open engine was covered and stored in a garage. i know the guy i got it from and it ran real good and never overheated. i drove it before it was taken apart.i also found out my 2y/o son was in it playing and turned on the dome light. hopefully everything works once the battery is charged. if not i'll start pulling fuses to see where the amp draw is comming from. thanks again guys. this is my first mustang but im stsrting to figure it out.