General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Exhaust Flames

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 08:30 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: Exhaust Flames

ORIGINAL: brando5.0

By what I understand, the flames are created by unburned fuel in the pipes. That is why the engines are reved up a few times before hitting the ignitor. Then, the plug fires and burns the fuel that otherwise would just drip out the tailpipe. Now, as far as being safe, there is a slight possibility of back burning in the pipes, which can screw up the muffler or cat, or exhaust valves, depending on your exhaust.

I always thought that it would be cool to melt the front bumper off of a civic or some other car with the flames, but that runs you into something slightly illegal.
That would be so nice here in Phoenix where people like to tailgate....[:'(] But yes, they are illegal in I believe most if not all the states and I would not consider them safe for any daily driver...(raw fuel + uncontrolled ignition)
Old 04-28-2005, 11:48 PM
BewareOfBite
1st Gear Member

http://eatmyflames.com/dual-exhaust-flame-kit.html

That is what i am thinking of putting on my car it has a switch so its not like it just flames every time i hit the gas so let me know what you guys think
Old 04-29-2005, 12:44 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

that just runs off of unburnt fuel in the pipes. if you have cats, it wont work. and youll never see a 5 foot flame
Old 04-29-2005, 12:46 AM
BewareOfBite
1st Gear Member

Well then i guess its a good thing i dont have cats i got some flowmasters on there without cats
Old 04-30-2005, 01:25 PM
babygurl2000
I ♥ Acer

illegal here...
Old 05-01-2005, 01:50 PM
BewareOfBite
1st Gear Member

yeah alot of things are illegal ...like street racing...but hey that doesnt stop a lot of us
Old 05-01-2005, 02:45 PM
grimwolf
2nd Gear Member

its only illegal if you get caught LOL
kind alike no cop no stop
cop didnt see it i didnt do it LOL
ORIGINAL: babygurl2000

illegal here...
Old 05-01-2005, 11:50 PM
mustangjosh
1st Gear Member

the way i have seen it done is you have the car run rich than you have a 12 volt coil hooked to a sparkplug at the tail pipe and a button on the dash or something like that my dad told me he knew people who used to do it when he was kid I pretty sure it would have to be a sraight pipe
Old 05-15-2005, 03:14 AM
rob0762

has anyone put that cheap kit you can buy off ebay onto your car? i would think it might actually burn your own rear fender. also, i don't think it would hurt because it runs on extra fuel in the exhaust. do v6's usually run rich? i'm thinking about putting this in.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:45 PM
P.S.I.cho
4th Gear Member

for the most part they are illegal but basically what it is, its an afterburner, it takes un burned fuel from your exhaust and theres a spark plug in your tailpipe that ignites it causing a "flame thrower" effect, i would think it would cause faster wear on your paint/exhaust thats just more heat that it has to withstand

Quick Reply: Exhaust Flames