General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

chokeing during a start

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 10:48 AM
grimwolf
2nd Gear Member

Default chokeing during a start

first some info on the car
2004 gt 4.6 and the only mod under the hood is a drop in k&n air filter.
28,000+miles on the odomiter almost all highway miles
oil changes roughly ever 4 to 6 thousand miles full synthentic last winter i ran some winter blend crap from jiffylube but decided to go with full synthetic this past febuary. the car will be a year old june 2nd, and i have replaced the fuel filter once about a month ago when i had 26 thousand miles on the car.

ok prior to me changeing the fuel filter the car stalled out once on the road doing about 65 the car just stoped...they never figured out what happend because it never threw a coded.

sence then i have experenced a rough start...not every time i turn on the car but it is sporatic so weather and humidity is not a factor nore is heat, also not a factor is how long the car has been running prior to a rough start or long it has sat...like i said it happens at all diffrent times i have studyed this for about two months and replaced the fuel filter because i thought THAT was the issue...turns out 59.99 dollars and one fuel filter later i am still haveing issues...
when i start the car it starts to turn over then it chokes itself out as if you started it and it chokes out only to at the last second it gets whatever it needs to start and it starts...
any ideas?
id much rather have it fixed before the warentee is up lol
Old 04-28-2005, 10:56 AM
Choppa
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: chokeing during a start

if u have a warranty jus go get it fixed thats wat the warranty is for
Old 04-28-2005, 11:45 AM
grimwolf
2nd Gear Member

yeah i did that they said theres nothing wrong with it...same thing as when it stalled out...i told them they were like we didnt find nothing wrong with it....so what do i do in a situation like that? take it to a diffrent dealer or call ford?

ORIGINAL: Choppa

if u have a warranty jus go get it fixed thats wat the warranty is for
Old 04-28-2005, 12:39 PM
sastangman
2nd Gear Member

those dealerships are snakes,you have to beat them at there own game
if you can leave your car with them do it. i had a warranty issue with a vehicle
once and they kept on telling me there was nothing wrong,bull**** i left my
car there for 2-weeks till they fixed it. try that if you can..
Old 04-28-2005, 01:12 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Also get a loaner car!!!
Old 04-28-2005, 11:44 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: grimwolf

oil changes roughly ever 4 to 6 thousand miles full synthentic last winter i ran some winter blend crap from jiffylube but decided to go with full synthetic this past febuary. the car will be a year old june 2nd, and i have replaced the fuel filter once about a month ago when i had 26 thousand miles on the car.

ok prior to me changeing the fuel filter the car stalled out once on the road doing about 65 the car just stoped...they never figured out what happend because it never threw a coded.

sence then i have experenced a rough start...not every time i turn on the car but it is sporatic so weather and humidity is not a factor nore is heat, also not a factor is how long the car has been running prior to a rough start or long it has sat...like i said it happens at all diffrent times i have studyed this for about two months and replaced the fuel filter because i thought THAT was the issue...turns out 59.99 dollars and one fuel filter later i am still haveing issues...
when i start the car it starts to turn over then it chokes itself out as if you started it and it chokes out only to at the last second it gets whatever it needs to start and it starts...
any ideas?
When you get this rough start scenario, are you putting the key in then quickly going to turn the car on? I'm thinking you're not giving your fuel pump enough time (a whopping 1/2 second to pressurize the system) I've done it a few times in my car when I'm in a hurry and just put the key in and flip real quick to the 'start' position and get a similar thing.

Never had the car cut out while I'm driving though [:-]
Old 04-29-2005, 11:03 AM
grimwolf
2nd Gear Member

well its funny cuse the key i use is slightly cut wrong so i call it my trick key you have to put the key in pull it out just a hair and then try to turn it over...somtimes you gotta wiggle it back and forth somtimes you can put it in and it turns with no problem...
but no generaly when i turn the key its "insert key turn"
i dont put the key in and wait a second..and i also dont put the key in and turn it half way to aux forward then pause then turn it full..but if you are suggesting thats that what i try then ill do that for a while and see if i still have that problem.

as far as the stalling out on the road...it happend less then twelve hours after i tryed to give somone a jump..and turns out someone told me after the fact im not suposed to give jump starts with my car...lol like im suposed to know lol but anyways..i had reset the cpu by removeing the battery cables from the battery terminals then went though and everything seemed fine...but later on that night i drove it around for a few hours and it had cut out on me mid highway LOL...it has not done that sence though...

ORIGINAL: Derf00

ORIGINAL: grimwolf

any ideas?
When you get this rough start scenario, are you putting the key in then quickly going to turn the car on? I'm thinking you're not giving your fuel pump enough time (a whopping 1/2 second to pressurize the system) I've done it a few times in my car when I'm in a hurry and just put the key in and flip real quick to the 'start' position and get a similar thing.

Never had the car cut out while I'm driving though [:-]
Old 04-29-2005, 02:15 PM
IownaMustangNow
3rd Gear Member

fasd
Old 04-29-2005, 02:28 PM
Djs94stang
3rd Gear Member

28,000 miles in less than a year...man you do some miles. Anyway you need to be systematic. Check the fuel pressure and see if it up to snuf. I don't know about the 4.6's but my 5.0 is between 25 and 40, idle to WOT. Try to have the gauge on it especially when it is running rough. If fuel seems ok then I would go to ignition. You have independent coils and since you totally died out it I doubt it would be one coil doing that and the chances that more than one are bad is not likely. I also don't know how the 4.6 is fired...it could be a crank trigger of some sort...that could be bad but I would think that would kick code. If it is a simple electrical problem it is likely that it didn't set a code also. The other thing is to have the codes checked again or check them yourself...there may be a stored code now that the rough running is also occuring. Not all codes turn on the engine light so you can't go be that. Good luck.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:02 PM
pichinco
2nd Gear Member

4.6L 2V Mustang 30-45lbs according to specs.

Quick Reply: chokeing during a start