General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Double Clutch shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 08:38 PM
pbMaxLax44
1st Gear Member

Default Double Clutch shifting?

One of my friends today was telling me about double clutching, saying it makes your clutch last a lot longer and since I am still on my original clutch at 78k and it is performing great, I would like to keep it that way. But I have been doing some research and I guess manual transmissions with a synchronizer make shifting smoother anyways. I have a 2000 V6 (the older model from 2000), does mine have this synchronizer? Even if I do will my clutch still benefit from double clutching?
Old 06-19-2008, 08:53 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Default RE: Double Clutch shifting?

Fast and Furious YO!
Old 06-19-2008, 09:27 PM
Eight433
1st Gear Member

if you dont know what double clutching is and havent been doing it, then no, you dont have to do it.

an unsynchronized transmission you will basically only find in commercial trucks nowadays. passenger vehicles have been synchronized for probly 30 years or better.

there are two ways to shift an un synchronized transmission. Push the clutch in, pull out of gear, let clutch out so that they (the engine, clutch, and trans) are spinning at the same speed, and then push in clutch and put in next gear. The next is to "float" the gears, basically just pulling it out of gear, waiting for the engine to hit the right RPM to match the trans, and glide it into the next gear. synchronizers prevent you from doing this usually though.

the synchronizer basically does this step for you. it is more or less a softer material that takes the wear instead of grinding your gears together. when you pull it out of one gear and put it in the next gear, they synchronize all the gears so they mesh with no grinding. You could double clutch, but its really not necessary. with a little bit of practice, you can push the clutch in, pull it out of gear, and instead of just cramming it into the next gear, wait untill the engine RPM's come back down on thier own and it will drop right in, then release your clutch. basically, when you are downshifting comming to a stop and you hear that whining noise as you put it in a lower gear, those are the synchros meshing. The less you do this, the longer your trans will last.

HOWEVER, all of this has to do with prolonging trans life, not clutch life. The best way to prolong clutch life is to let it out gentle, but dont "ride" the clutch. Chirping gears could cause scoring of the flywheel, riding the clutch causes excessive heat.

technically, double clutching could potentially lower clutch life because you are engaging/disengaging it twice as many times as neccessary, but by miniscual ammounts because no load to speak of is being applied when the vehicle is out of gear.

cliffs notes: Drive it like you stole it!
Old 06-19-2008, 10:24 PM
pbMaxLax44
1st Gear Member

Thanks for clarifying and not being a douche. I was considering learning how to shift without the clutch but I don't want to risk the grinding of my gears figuring out exactly when to shift. [:@]

JD1969 : Just because something was mentioned in a fast and furious movie it's automatically worthless to the automotive world? So your going to tell me that twin turbo supra's suck, as well as R34 GTR's, and Evo's are worthless...mhm.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:35 PM
foru2nv4
2nd Gear Member

No you don't leave that to the semi drivers. Even being a truck driver my self its still challenging and you tend to grind every now and again to shift without a clutch. every tractor is different. so is every car.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:55 PM
MustangMike2001
4th Gear Member

Just don't granny shift and you'll be alright
Old 06-20-2008, 03:15 PM
psyviperx
3rd Gear Member

hehe i shift my merc nice slow and easy @ 2000 rpms haha saving all the desil i can. got her up to about 30 mpg
Old 06-21-2008, 03:32 PM
kirkln

Don't slip the clutch after each shift bring out quickly and on takeoff don't slip more than you have too clutch will be good way past a hundred K
Old 06-21-2008, 04:02 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: pbMaxLax44

Thanks for clarifying and not being a douche. I was considering learning how to shift without the clutch but I don't want to risk the grinding of my gears figuring out exactly when to shift. [:@]

JD1969 : Just because something was mentioned in a fast and furious movie it's automatically worthless to the automotive world? So your going to tell me that twin turbo supra's suck, as well as R34 GTR's, and Evo's are worthless...mhm.
You should probably see a doctor about having that large stick removed from your ***. It is called a joke.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:09 PM
Dazzalad
1st Gear Member

Youtube has some good video on how to double clutch. To hard to explain just watch.

Quick Reply: Double Clutch shifting?