General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Child Seats for the family

Old 07-18-2008, 10:53 AM
O.J.Sakuma

Default Child Seats for the family

First, we do have a minivan (Ford Freestar), so if we need room, we got it.

We are thinking of a (08-09) Mustang. However, we have two small kids that are in car seats. We may want a third. I know a Mustang is not a 4 door. Does anyone use your Mustang to transport kids? I know it can be done. Does it get old after a while? On bad weather days? Please share your experiences with child car seats + a Mustang. Anything else you can tell me?

Again, we have a minivan. But there may be times we will need to pick them up, etc, etc. I know a mid size family 4-door sedan would be perfect, but I (we) do want a Mustang.

Iknow this is a Mustang forum, but I still want an opinion.

TIA
Old 07-18-2008, 11:17 AM
ryan1994mustang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Child Seats for the family

i have to carry my little sister around sometimes in my car. she had problems riding in the backseat in a carseat because she couldnt stretch her feet out. but now she is big enough that she can ride without a booster or anything. i couldnt imagine having 2 seats in the back, and 1 more up front. im sure it could be done, but not comfortably. and it would probably be a PITA to load them in and out.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:04 PM
tmcc02gt
2nd Gear Member

Well i have two kids that i take in the mustang occasionally, and it really not that bad to be honest. They both pile in on my side and i can buckle them quite easily as well from the drivers seat. It doesnt seem cramped at all for them or me.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:06 PM
tmcc02gt
2nd Gear Member

oh and i forgot to add that they are in "booster" type seats, so i didnt want you to think that i had the big baby carrier type things.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:21 PM
jmf04gt
1st Gear Member

Had a Monte Carlo SS when my kid was little and we just worked with what we had at that time.. we had no other vehicle.. Don't worry how others feel about it if you want to take the chance do it then you can post horror stories when someone else asks if there are any!!! LOL
Old 07-18-2008, 01:37 PM
20Mustang00
1st Gear Member

My little sister is now almost 4, but first it takes a longer time. I would have to pick her up and set her in, back breaker, plus if you think they will have room your wrong... my front seat has to be almost all the way forward... but now she climbs in by herself...
Old 07-19-2008, 09:41 AM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

If you already have a van. You're covered. Just use the Mustang when you don't need to carry a fifth. I'm doing the same thing with a Fox Mustang. Backseat is even smaller but similar to your van, I have a full size family car for such occassions.

Have you considered a full size musclecar like a Charger or Challenger?
Old 07-19-2008, 04:14 PM
GTAProject

I bought my '04 GT when my sons were 5 and 6, now they are 7 and 8 and I use the car as my daily driver. They were in booster seats when I got it, now they just climb in and sit. I put the passenger seat far forward and load them in on that side. My sons understand that the minor aggravation of having to climb in and maybe be a little cramped in years to come is a small price to pay for being in a cool car. My wife prefers a minivan, so we use that when we are all together.

Now that my boys are old enough to climb in and out by themselves and we have a minivan for other needs, I vowed to finally drive the car I want and let everyone else work around me for a few years. I sold my Ram Air Trans Am to buy a four-door car ('95 Impala SS) while the boys were infants and in car seats. Once they were finished with those, I was going back to a two-door, manual transmission car.

For the winter, I put Blizzaks on the stock 17X8s and run 18X10, 18X9 for the summer. I've never had a problem with snow or ice. If the weather is that bad, I'm not going anywhere anyway.

Life's short, drive what you want.