General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

OH, THE HUMANITY! HELP ME!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 05:18 PM
ShadowStang03

Default OH, THE HUMANITY! HELP ME!

So I just moved from Saint Louis, MO to Virginia. I get up today and decide it would be a good day to clean my car. The place I am staying at has a bay wash right there in the parking lot, so I washed my car in the bay and detailed out on the concrete. As I am going over it with a chamois towel, I discover hundreds of tiny white speckles all over my rear quarter panels and bumpers. I could not get them off no matter how hard I scrubbed. I took it to auto parts store to buy chemicals, desk boy asserts: "Yeah, we got real bad water around here, it does that to paint a lot. " to which I replied, " Well how do you get it off? " He offers me this gem in return, " well, if it bothers you that much, you can get it scraped off by a detailer." Are you serious? I scrubbed it with vinegar and got about half of it off after 2 hours. How in the hell can I get rid of this crap? I wish I had a picture to show you. They are just tiny white spots clustered all over the place apparently from hard water. The weirdest thing about it is, nobody else seems to care. It RUINS paint.

Things I have tried that have NOT worked:
Ice wash
Maguire's Quick Detail spray
Simple Green
White Vinegar (Only sort of works, mainly just moves it around )

Please help If you can !

03 GT Premium, Mineral Grey, now with REAL mineral deposits!
Old 08-04-2008, 06:39 PM
southern4life_99
1st Gear Member

Default RE: OH, THE HUMANITY! HELP ME!

Sorry I cant help with your problem, but welcome to Va, see you are already loving to hate it . Its all down hill from here.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:58 AM
JudisStang
2nd Gear Member

I'm wondering if clay bar will help.... if you do try it... follow all the instructions...
Old 08-05-2008, 12:28 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ShadowStang03

So I just moved from Saint Louis, MO to Virginia. I get up today and decide it would be a good day to clean my car. The place I am staying at has a bay wash right there in the parking lot, so I washed my car in the bay and detailed out on the concrete. As I am going over it with a chamois towel, I discover hundreds of tiny white speckles all over my rear quarter panels and bumpers. I could not get them off no matter how hard I scrubbed. I took it to auto parts store to buy chemicals, desk boy asserts: "Yeah, we got real bad water around here, it does that to paint a lot. " to which I replied, " Well how do you get it off? " He offers me this gem in return, " well, if it bothers you that much, you can get it scraped off by a detailer." Are you serious? I scrubbed it with vinegar and got about half of it off after 2 hours. How in the hell can I get rid of this crap? I wish I had a picture to show you. They are just tiny white spots clustered all over the place apparently from hard water. The weirdest thing about it is, nobody else seems to care. It RUINS paint.

Things I have tried that have NOT worked:
Ice wash
Maguire's Quick Detail spray
Simple Green
White Vinegar (Only sort of works, mainly just moves it around )

Please help If you can !

03 GT Premium, Mineral Grey, now with REAL mineral deposits!
shouldve stayed here in STL. [8D]
Old 08-05-2008, 01:19 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Try something like a mild rubbing compound, should get the spots out. A "restoration wax" like Nu Finish would do it.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:25 PM
ryan1994mustang
4th Gear Member

i'd try a cly bar first, then a decent polish.