General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Engine swapping?

Old 09-17-2008, 11:34 AM
NonRicer

Default Engine swapping?

Hey guys, I'm not real sure if this is the correct place to be asking this but here it goes. About a year ago I was car shopping because my motorcycle wasn't doing the job to get me to and from school. I came across a 2000 Ford Mustang Convertible ( V6 ) Auto and actually feel in love with it. But I never liked having a automatic even when I was a kid. So I was taking a look at " 521 CUBIC INCH 580HP FORD RACING PERFORMANCE CRATE ENGINE ASSEMBLY " as a engine swap. That way I can have my beloved manual and a faster engine then the Mustang GT's. So my question is; How hard is it to do the engine swap? And how hard is it to put a manual transmission into it?
Old 09-17-2008, 11:46 AM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

If you're even asking this question, it's probably more than you can tackle on your own. It's not just an engine and trans swap. This would be much easier if you were starting with a GT. You'll need to replace the engine, trans, rear end, (possibly the K member as I'm not positive that the new edge's use the same K for the V6 and V8), pedal assembly, move the speedometer cable to route the clutch cable, harness, computer, and more than likely the brakes. When all that is done, you should probably give some consideration to the suspension. Yikes.

You're talking about spending some serious coin on a car thats always going to be titled as a V6, and while thats not a big deal to some people, most buyers will turn their nose up at that.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:52 AM
ewgoetz
3rd Gear Member

It be easier to find a wrecked donar car from around your year with a v8 and sawp out the harness's and find a crate modular motor. Otherwise I think one thing for sure you will need areal high hood to start. It would cost alot of money and fabricating. personaly, Youd be better of finding a SN95 or a fox body and puting in that engine in that or like I said find a modular crate motor and a GT donar car from around your year that had serious body damage but with the drivetrain in tact. Than you can get all the manual stuff(pedals, CPU, etc) with out having to do 100 trips to a parts place. Also if your state has emmisions inspections you may run into issues with that "521 CUBIC INCH 580HP FORD RACING PERFORMANCE CRATE ENGINE ASSEMBLY" to pass.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:18 PM
bigbadbert

Check this out.
http://mustangboards.com/modular-4-6...you-opine.html
Old 09-17-2008, 01:00 PM
Fobra
Banned

it would not be that bad... obviously this is a not a mod motor, so many comments are just silly, you'd just have to realize that somethings would probly have to be changed to keep the same functionality. like the a/c and some computer, there is nothing magic about these cars, and gettin a GT would do just about nothing for you - people act like getting a rear end is some big deal, you'd just end up throwing away just about all of those GT parts you just upgraded to.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:24 PM
NonRicer

Alright I came up with a few ideas after reading everyone's posts. Option 1 I came up with is simply buying a 99-04 Mustang that's already manual so that saves some time on assembling the pedals and attaching a clutch. Another option is to simply buy a Mustang GT and keep the stock 4.6L and add a few toys onto it. Or if I did keep my current Mustang is there another engine that would be easier to upgrade to?

I also have a few more questions. If I did buy a new Mustang already being a manual and swap that engine would it be cheaper to just buy a V6 manual or would I need the goodies from the GT? Another question is if I do just stick with a 4.6L what add-ons would I be needing to get to keep up with something say... ...a Camaro?
Old 09-17-2008, 01:36 PM
Fobra
Banned

basically this all depends on goals, if your happy with GT power - get a GT, if your happy with cobra power - get a cobra , if you want more - mod your car

A pushrod can be a good thing, but its a give and take, and again depends on your goals.

if your going to do all this you dont want to keep up with camaros - u want to smoke them!

but anyway I think you need to set a goal, research how much you want and be realistic as to how much is to much. there are so many options its not even funny.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:42 PM
NonRicer

Hahaha, good point. Well the thing is I'm a student so I can't have a full time job so my budget isn't that high. That's why I came up with sticking with the Mustang I currently have. However, the Mustang is really meant for me to get to school and have some fun at the track when I go down. So I may just say getting the GT would be my best bet. Actually found a 2003 Mustang GT that looks cleaner then mine! And I don't even let people eat in my car! So I may get that. I will let ya'll know how that turns out.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:05 PM
ewgoetz
3rd Gear Member

If your just looking for some power you have another option. keep your current car and go to a junkyard insearch of a manulay car that was wrecked with the same body style and pull out all teh manual trans parts you need(pedals etc) along with the ECM and put it in your car. Than look into getting a supercharger or turbo for it If you want some power. Woulds be cheaper in the long run I'd think vs a pushrod motor and additional parts. You wont have to worry as much for the emmisions also. Also you wont have to be to concerened about changeing the suspension parts due to teh heavier block from a 8 cylinder.

Not to mention tubo/supercharged v6's can keep up with V8's

Last edited by ewgoetz; 09-17-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:53 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by NonRicer
Hahaha, good point. Well the thing is I'm a student so I can't have a full time job so my budget isn't that high.
That was exactly my point, and the reason I went the route I did. And why I said it would be easier to start with a GT. Contrary to Fobra's post, the time and money savings from starting with a stick GT would be substantial. If you found a high mileage one fairly cheap, you'd be money ahead. Not to mention, I just saw 2 new edge rollers that were like $3500. I want to say one was even a '99 Cobra... For $3500, you just can't beat that. Especially if you're going to buy a motor and trans package.

At the very least, with the GT, the parts you will eventually upgrade are going to last until you can afford to replace them with better aftermarket parts. You could daily drive a 580 hp GT with a stock 8.8 and T-45 in it for just about ever. When you're ready to do the suspension, stick a set of slicks on it, and head to the track, then you can worry about it. And even then, you'd be surprised how fast you can go on the 8.8. (Assuming you don't beat the **** out of it on the street everyday.)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine swapping?