General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1998 GT questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 11:27 AM
yamanx
1st Gear Member

Default 1998 GT questions.

I recently purchased a 98' GT I want to fix everything that is wrong with it first before I put performance parts on it.

I've change the oil to Synthetic, changed the fuel filter, and plugs. I really can't think of any thing else mechanical wise that needs to be changed since I just got it.

The person who previously owned the car I'm guessing slammed the door too hard and the sheet metal from the outside door to the inside had separated itself on the inside upper corner of the door. I got it put back in but the door leaks around the window. There is also a gap between the window and outside door.

How can I fix this and were can I get the parts?
Old 09-30-2008, 01:08 PM
ewgoetz
3rd Gear Member

I'm assuming you replaced the wires cap and rotor when you did the plugs? anti-freeze look good? how many miles on it, asking cause it maybe about the miles at where the trans needs a oil change as well as the rear end.

cheapest way to fix the door would be to go to a junkyard and look for one that is wrecked with the same color as yours, but with a good DS door, and install it on your car.

edit:
Nm on the cap and rotor just realized it should be a overhead cam setup.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:27 PM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

You may also need a new belt weatherstrip, which is what goes on the door at the window, just give em a tug and it should come off.

Other tune up items to consider, pcv valve, at 90k miles the trans NEEDS to be flushed, inspect your serpentine belt, at 110k miles the coolant needs replacing, just drain and refill. This is on top of what ewgoetz said. Also, I would just have a good mechanic give it a look over.

I just got my new 2000 mustang gt and I did a trans and coolant flush, serpentine belt, pcv valve, oil & filter, changed the rear diff fluid, new brake pads, and rebalanced the tires.

oh and you can go to car-part.com to search for parts or to at least find a yard in your area.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:26 PM
yamanx
1st Gear Member

Ya I figured I probably needed a new weatherstrip but I've looked several places and can't find someone that sells them, maybe I'm blind??

It's a 5 speed so I was just going to put some synthetic in it when I got a short throw, the diff had the pinion seal replaced before I bought the car so I know the diff is good, belts all clean without any cracking or spots of burning.

The motor does has a sqeaking noise coming from something at idle any idea's?
Old 10-01-2008, 01:50 AM
unlisted
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by yamanx
The motor does has a sqeaking noise coming from something at idle any idea's?

...You sure its the motor? Is the clutch fully engaged? I've noticed the same noise with my 98 v6 manual when the clutch is fully engaged (other words, my foot is NOT on the clutch pedal)

Does not matter if its in neutral, low revs, or in gear at low revs, always makes that stupid squeaking noise.. unless I put a little pressure on the clutch pedal..

If thats what yours is doing, at least its not only one car, and hopefully its happened to someone else, and its a quick, easy and cheap fix..
Old 10-01-2008, 09:34 AM
unlisted
1st Gear Member

...Update: going to the shop today, if they figure out and/or fix my noise, I'll let ya know. If they don't, I'm sure I'll be b!tching on here about it..
Old 10-01-2008, 09:32 PM
unlisted
1st Gear Member

... Grumble. Was told its a clutch bearing or something of the sort. Unless I want to pull the clutch/tranny apart at this time, just ignore it.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
Old 10-02-2008, 01:10 PM
yamanx
1st Gear Member

Well mine will sometimes do it no matter what or not at all. No telling. With the clutch bearing it's what rests on the clutch fork so you would have to drop the tranny to swap it out.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:50 PM
unlisted
1st Gear Member

I've now noticed mine is only doing it sometimes, and not at other times... So, I guess I will live with it.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:12 PM
USMC1775
4th Gear Member

Its probably the throwout bearing, its a common issue. Its nothing serious, just sometimes people dont adequately lube the shaft when installing it and/or clutch assembly.

Just do what I do and turn up the music

Quick Reply: 1998 GT questions.