General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Shocks & Struts

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 04:49 PM
aynjell
3rd Gear Member

Default Shocks & Struts

Cheapest you'd go with C or B springs? I'm thinking instead of going performance units I just want to get something that works. for 150$ I can get your general run of the mill replacements like Gabriel Ultra's or something. I only plan on getting C springs or B springs, B Springs most likely for a floatier ride. All I ask is that they be equal to or slightly better than stock.

Coming from the world of computers and overclocking, I'm used to looking for that needle in the haystack value. I'm all about getting more than I paid for. What options are out there that are low priced but definitely up to part with some of the other items out there that some would pay big bucks for. I just want shocks and struts that work.

Last edited by aynjell; 10-06-2008 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:20 AM
aynjell
3rd Gear Member

Just wanted to bump this. I've found that autozone sells gabriel ultras, it'd be 140$ for a full set of shocks and struts. Do you think these would be adequite for C springs?
Old 10-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

You need to have a balanced spring/shock package or you'll have a bouncy ride or poorly handling car.Modified Mustangs can have a problem with "snap oversteer" which can be downright dangerous since it's only going to happen when the car is being pushed to it's limits.The factory suspension is set up to understeer or push into the curves when driven hard.This is done to keep Ford from being sued into oblivion in case of a "spinout" crash.

This is a link to some spring rates for Mustangs.

http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/springs_calcs.htm

This is a link to some good info dealing with Mustang suspension set-ups.

http://www.protoworks.com/cgi-bin/C-C_Wiki.pl
Old 10-07-2008, 02:22 PM
aynjell
3rd Gear Member

I know I'm going to get razzed about this, but I think I'm going to order the gabriels, get new bushings, and just trim my springs a tiny bit. may not help with performance but it'll be new shocks and struts. That's miles ahead of my worn out junkers.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:19 PM
aynjell
3rd Gear Member

On second thought, I'm just going to replace shocks and struts, not touch the springs and wait until I can afford a real setup. As of right now, not being able to afford a _GOOD_ setup, I don't want to half *** it. I've seen too many bad stories lately to mess this up. I'm just going to wait... but waiting to get something that WORKS is a bad decision. I need to get a nice suspension on my car before it rattles apart.

So 140$ with a 28$ MIR is not too damned bad at all, especially since I get a lifetime warranty, so if I ever wanted to return to stock I could. Seems like a worthwhile investment.