General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Shaker500 in my car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 10:34 AM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Default Shaker500 in my car?

Will a Shaker500 fit in my car? I dont have the Shaker500 setup. I just have the Basic v6 model. On some places it says that the Shaker500 requires the 8 speaker sound system, I dont think my car has that. I dont have those subs or whatever they are on my doors...

Will it fit/work in my car??
Old 12-15-2008, 11:06 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

maxshuty, do you really want a good sounding system? Then go after market! I do have the Shaker 500 and I am satisfied for now, but future plans will be replacing the head unit as well as the speakers.

I got this info below from Yahoo;

Toss it all and go aftermarket. Factory systems will never sound like aftermarket. Even the upgraded ones, they are a waste of money.

I've posted this before, but it should provide you with a some help.

The components of a good car sound system would be as follows: The source (cd player, in-dash dvd/nav system, radio, tape player, etc.), the speakers, the subs, the amps, the parts/wiring. Also, depending on how big of a system, possibly a new battery or two and an alternator. Here are some of my recommendations as far as good brands.

Deck: Eclipse, Pioneer (regular or premier), Alpine, Kenwood Excelon, Nakamichi (not the greatest looking, but great sound).

Speakers: Polk Audio, Infinity, Eclipse, Pioneer Rev High end: Focal, Boston, MB Quart, Nakamichi

Subs: JL Audio, MTX, Kicker, Eclipse, Audiobahn, Memphis, Hifonics, Diamond Audio, Fosgate (p3 and higher)

Amps: all the sub companies, plus, Precision Power, Crossfire, Cadence, Soundstream

Parts/Wiring: Monster, Tsunami, Streetwires, even Kicker and Fosgate make decent parts/wiring.

Now if I had to choose, here would be my choices:
Deck: Eclipse or Pioneer
Speakers: Polk Audio, Infinity, or Eclipse
Amps/Subs: JL Audio or MTX
Wiring: Tsunami or Monster

As far as the order in which to purchase (if you can't do it all at once) here would be my suggestion:

First replace you speakers (stock stereo with good speakers sounds better then aftermarket stereo with stock speakers),

Then replace the deck (it'll help the speakers, but it will also give you the foundation to build the rest of the system off of)

Next, subs/amps/wiring (give you that extra bass that you need, make sure you use good wiring and the right size, capacitors if needed, important for system, also as far as the wiring, remember you will need another amp for speakers)

Next, amp for speakers (speakers will play cleaner, tighter, more accurate, and louder - a must, especially with the subs)

After that its all just accessories: i.e. satellite radio, navigation, dvd player, screens, etc.

Now as far as where to get them, most of these companies will be available at Circuit City, BestBuy, Cardomain.com, Cruthfield.com. Others are only sold at authorized dealers (usually a local audio company), but you'll have to check out their websites in order to find the ones nearest you.

As far as cost, I would say a decent FULL system would start around 1200 installed and then just go up from there.

But in the end these are just my recommendations (based on quality and sound), like Sparky said only you can judge what you like. Everyone's ears are a little different so what sounds good to me may not sound good to you. Shop around at all the car audio dealers and take a listen, but make sure you take one of your cds with you so you can judge all of them with the same song (one that you are familiar with).

Also, go to my Answer Profile page, check out page 7 under my answers: look for the question regarding a Mustang GT, this will pertain to you as well. Email me with any questions, hope this helps.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:42 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

I would love to go aftermarket with a Touchscreen Navi/DVD/MP3 player but I simply can't afford that now. In my old Mazda626 we went from a stock system to a Pioneer system and the sound was 100% different. The difference was black and white. However, I think the $100 Shaker500 would do just fine (does it even improve sound from the normal sound system in our cars?) because all I really want from the Shaker right now is the 6 Disc CD Changer. My CD's are always skipping from being scratched and I figure if I can pick a Shaker500 up for $60-$100 then it wont drop too much lower in price if I upgrade to an aftermarket system someday. If I had $500-$600 now I would be getting the Avic D3... but I think the shaker will be fine for a while.

So will the shaker perform correctly in my car?
Old 12-15-2008, 12:49 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Yes it should work just fine, you wont see audio improvement but the 6 disc changer is quite nice. Be aware that the shaker system have had many problems so you might put it in and have disc skips or whatever. You might not though. You can then maybe take it to the dealer and see if they will warranty it