General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

engine problem, can anyone help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 08:51 PM
Muscle GT
1st Gear Member

Default engine problem, can anyone help?

Hi so today im driving down this straight road when all of a sudden the streetlight turned yellow...i was not going to beat it before it turned red, so i ended up downshifting into 2nd..stupidly enough. I was in third gear at probably 3500-4000 rpms when i downshifted to 2nd (again, idk wtf i was thinking, im still kicking my a** for doing it). anyway, the rpms shot up to 7000 (way above the rev limiter) and i eventually came to a stop. I went to go again when the light turned green and thats when i realized something was seriously messed up. At that point, my engine check light came on, and the car began to idle differently, and the power was greatly decreased. I dont hear any clanking, so i dont believe i broke a cyllinder or piston or anything..i thought maybe an injector went bad, but i tested them with a screw driver, testing for clicking, and they all seem to be firing. anyone have any idea what it may be? Im about to kick my a** again when i see what a performance shop will charge me to fix this. Any help is appreciated! Thanks
Old 01-06-2009, 03:57 AM
mustangcat
Deputy CatDog - To Purr'tect and Explode

Try and check out the Check Engine Light(CEL) for info.
If you have/know someone that has an OBD-II scanner, hook it up and check the code out. Or you can take it to an Autozone, Checker, etc. where they should be able to read the code for you.
If not, run a self diagnostic:
Hold down odometer reset butoon, insert key into ignition and turn to on (not start) position while still holding the odo button. Wait a few moments & the odo reading will say"GAGe" & from that point one can scroll through various readings (system checks)

A list of the error codes can be found:
https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6-...ble-codes.html

At 7000 RPM I want to say you floated a valve.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:08 PM
Fobra
Banned

your post was a little to vague, its unlikely that you damaged the motor, but as you said it idles differently... but it its not knocking or ticking or running hot/ low oil pressure it should be good, but it seems like whatever the CEL is put it in limp mode
Old 01-07-2009, 08:15 PM
forcefeed
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fobra
your post was a little to vague, its unlikely that you damaged the motor, but as you said it idles differently... but it its not knocking or ticking or running hot/ low oil pressure it should be good, but it seems like whatever the CEL is put it in limp mode

bet you a cam follower fell out, use a scanner see if you have a misfire code, if you do pull valve cover on that bank and inspect upper valve train
Old 01-08-2009, 07:17 AM
Obsequious1
5th Gear Member

IS YOUR CAR TUNED. YOU SAID YOUR RPMS WENT UP TO 7000, SO I AM ASSUMING IT IS.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:08 PM
forcefeed
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Obsequious1
IS YOUR CAR TUNED. YOU SAID YOUR RPMS WENT UP TO 7000, SO I AM ASSUMING IT IS.
it would not matter if its tuned or not, you can over rev ANY engine with a manual tranny if you down shift into too low of a gear with to much road speed...........but i understand why you might have asked the question
Old 01-08-2009, 03:06 PM
Muscle GT
1st Gear Member

no the car is not tuned. but at this point it doesnt matter, the engine isnt fixable for a reasonable price, so I'm going to get a replacement engine for it. Thanks for the help guys
Old 01-08-2009, 04:57 PM
mustangcat
Deputy CatDog - To Purr'tect and Explode

Originally Posted by Muscle GT
no the car is not tuned. but at this point it doesnt matter, the engine isnt fixable for a reasonable price, so I'm going to get a replacement engine for it. Thanks for the help guys
Really? What went wrong?

You floated a valve didn't ya!
Old 01-08-2009, 06:52 PM
myounts

Go to Vatozone or Oreilly's and have them see what the scanner pulls. There is a a reason it came on and unless you have a scanner to see what it is then you are shooting in the dark.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:05 PM
Muscle GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangcat
Really? What went wrong?

You floated a valve didn't ya!
bent valve

Quick Reply: engine problem, can anyone help?