General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help with automatic shift knob!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 10:44 AM
luigi589

Unhappy Help with automatic shift ****!

Hi,
I have 2004 3.9L v6 Mustang that I bought a few weeks ago. The stock CD player in it decides it likes to eat CD's and never spit them out, so I ordered a new CD player through Crutchfield (awesome site). So it came in, I assembled the wire harness and was ready to stick it in the 'stang.

Using the instructions that came with it, it told me to remove the shifter **** to get to be able to get the trim piece off below it. It never said manual shifter ****, and I'm naive to car mods and repair, so I went about taking it off. I took out the one allen wrench screw on the back side of it and pulled up. The head of the **** came up a bit, and the shift button and spring popped out. I thought this was kinda weird, since the instructions say it just is supposed to screw off, so I went back and checked the instructions. That's when it dawned on me the that they meant a manual shifter ****, not an auto ****. So I went back the stang, and lo and behold, the trim piece around the shifter comes off with no **** removal necessary.

So here's my problem now: I can't get the shift **** to go back down. It's still elevated about an inch above where it should be, and the spring and button won't catch because I'm assuming it won't go down to the point where the catch is for the button to stay in. I've tried turning it clockwise and counterclockwise whilst pushing it down to no avail. How do I get the shift **** to go back on correctly?

Can someone please help me out?

- Luigi589
Old 01-22-2009, 12:52 PM
luigi589

Update: I was able to get the shift **** back on after I pulled it back off to see what the problem was. It turns out I pulled out the O/D wiring and that was causing it to jam and not go down. So now I have a working shifter again, I just can't use the O/D button. The O/D was and still is engaged, which is good, I just can't turn it on or off. Is this hard to fix? Or should I even be worried?

- Luigi589