General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ODB2 question (not mustang)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 02:32 PM
Chris C
2nd Gear Member

Default ODB2 question (not mustang)

The check engine light on my 02 escape just came on at 36,135 miles. I would rather not pay someone to scan for codes. How easy is it to check for ODB2 codes and where and how much does the scan tool cost. I checked the gas cap since I know that can set the light off if its not on tight so thats not it. It came on a few days after I did my oil change but I cant think of anything that has to do with an oil change that can set the light off. I double checked everything and the oil is full and there is no leak. Any other simple things that can set the light off I can check before I spend any money? Thanks
Old 06-17-2005, 03:32 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

Default RE: ODB2 question (not mustang)

I think you can buy the scan tool a pep boys for like 30 bucks and it comes with the book for all the codes
Old 06-17-2005, 03:34 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Try $130. Thats the cheapest I could find and it was at Advanced Auto. But any place like Autozone will read them for free. Just get the code and look it up on Google and you will know what to fix.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:58 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

Might be 130$ I bought one like ten years ago for a cutlass, all it is a prong that connects two leads toghter and then the service engine light flashes to tell you the code.You used to be able to do it with a paper clip on gms but i'm not sure if it works on ford
Old 06-17-2005, 04:17 PM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

I use to do the paper clip on my Honda[8D]

Advanced auto will scan it for free and tell you what it is.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:26 PM
NITROSTANGRACING
1st Gear Member

Auto Zone or Advanced will Scan it and tell you the code. Most employees of these stores ( at least around here ) are not qualified to diagnose it from there. Take the print out or the code and google search or post it here and we can help you possibly diagnose it.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:46 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Chris C

The check engine light on my 02 escape just came on at 36,135 miles. I would rather not pay someone to scan for codes. How easy is it to check for ODB2 codes and where and how much does the scan tool cost. I checked the gas cap since I know that can set the light off if its not on tight so thats not it. It came on a few days after I did my oil change but I cant think of anything that has to do with an oil change that can set the light off. I double checked everything and the oil is full and there is no leak. Any other simple things that can set the light off I can check before I spend any money? Thanks
OBDII Code scanner will cost between $100-130 with a code book. I betcha you will get the P0402 code from your Escape. I just had the same problem with my wifes 02. Turns out there is a TSB for a EGR pressure switch that gets stuck and will throw the code.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:10 PM
Chris C
2nd Gear Member

I got a scanner at autozone and it gave me the egr flow problem. They had one for 79$ and one for 149. Since it will work on all ODB2 cars its a pretty handy tool to have around. I just PMed you back derf. Do you know if this is under recall since I dont have any warranty left?
Old 06-17-2005, 10:30 PM
pete1665
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 99saleen351r

Might be 130$ I bought one like ten years ago for a cutlass, all it is a prong that connects two leads toghter and then the service engine light flashes to tell you the code.You used to be able to do it with a paper clip on gms but i'm not sure if it works on ford
pre 1996 cars were like that. '96 and later is OBD2. The code scanners actually havea display that gives you each individual code. then ya just look up the code in the book. A lot easier than trying to count the number of flashes!! i did that SOOOO many times on my '93 Probe!!
Old 06-18-2005, 04:48 AM
brewskyjjr

buy a cheap code reader and you will not get conclusive results...the scanners i use to diagnose problems are any were from $4000 and up and provide me with a lot more info than just the code number, i can look at all of the computers parameters at the time the code was set and can even test the componants manually...thats why us mechanics have to charge so much for diagnostic...some places will check codes for free...you just have to find someone willing to do it... i also believe that autozone and some other parts houses will check it for you...

Quick Reply: ODB2 question (not mustang)